Topic

TT Stratospire 1 FOR THOSE LOOKING AT THIS TENT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) TT Stratospire 1 FOR THOSE LOOKING AT THIS TENT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    James Walton
    BPL Member

@backcountryasm

Locale: south

Hello All!! This is not a technical review of this tent but I thought I would pass along some info and pics for this tent. I normally sleep in a fly creek and thought I would try out the tarptents. I initially thought the DW Moment would be for me. Then I looked at the stratospire 1 and quickly thought that is a crazy looking tent with all the angles and thought it would be a pain to pitch dispelled it and moved on. Well, I changed my mind after deciding the roominess and amount of air that this tent passes around you would work together to keep condensation down. I live in the SE (DEEPSOUTH) and this is a huge concern for us down here. The first pics you will see the first pitch in my backyard when seamsealing (not the tightest pitch but adequate for a first timer) I used Henry's method of Silicone 1 thinned down and applied with a foam brush. My initial concerns of sealing it with a professional appearance were a non-issue. After the sealant dries it is virtually not visible therefore just paint away. The second set of pics are the inside of the tent with my gear. I had my backpack at my head with my clothing sack(daypack) sitting atop. My two misc. bags on the side, NeoAir Xlite (25" x 72") and super spiral hugger 3. This was a car camping trip with my Troop but I wanted to test this tent and see what it could do. For my second pitch it was extremely easy to get a tight pitch and using the guyout lines to strengthen the ridge made it bomb proof. It rained the whole weekend on and off with 2" of rain. Saturday night after bedding down it poured 1 inch with solid thunderstorms all night. I did not experience any condensation as the tent breathes exceptionally well, no leaks of any kind, the floor space and vertical walls of the inner mesh provide more space than I thought it would provide. It is easy to get in and out of, you can sit upright, change clothes, leave the door open and stay dry during light rain. Awesome tent, very roomy, easy pitch, and thunderstorm proof. Not much else I can add.sealing picinner 1inner2

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Nice write up.

I have mine for about 14 months and like it a lot with the mesh inner, I also have to semi solid inner but find it sticks to the fly, I spoke to Henry and he advised to wipe the inner with a cloth to disperse any static.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Thank you for the mini-review James, as i'm considering The SS2 for my first Trekkingpole-supported tent.

Stephen: As i'm usually hiking in Scandinavia (probably similar to your Ireland and Scotland) where it's moist, cold, and windy, I would want to get the semi solid inner.
    Where exactly does the inner stick to the outer? Is it a big area? Do you think it could be fixed with extra panel tie outs? This could even make it more storm worthy/quiet, making the fix a win-win solution…

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I have not had problems with static (that I am aware of) but I have had the inner of the SS1 and 2 touching the fly but I can adjust that.
    It has to do with how the corners are set up/guyed out and (possibly) the angle/height of the poles.
    Next time it happens I see if I can remember to take note of how I correct it.
    (today I could do it by moving the non PitchLock corner about one inch or so inward, towards the floor)
    This is how it should look :
    SS1 solid inner

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Sounds reasonable Franco. BUT ;-)… Saying, after a long hike, and poor site selection, that it's hard to get a perfect pitch, do you think the "outer and inner-sticking" could be Fixed with extra panel tie-outs?
    Thanks!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

I only have used the SS2 in the bush but have pitched that on rough/uneven soil)
    Mine has a mesh inner so that may make the difference but like the rest of my TT shelters takes me no time at all to correct a bad set up not that I can explain always what I do, I just do it…
    But I am really not the guy to ask because I find setting up tents very easy some don't .
    ( I can't drive, swim,sew,sing,play music concentrate for more than 10 seconds but can set up tents)

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Hehe :-)

…I'll try Henry directly if I get close to buying the SS2.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Just had a bath , static electricity came to mind.
    I do get static electricity from my carpet .
    A few weeks ago I was fiddling with a tent in my bedroom (I think I was attaching the inner to a Scarp) when moving my hand towards an object (maybe a stake stuff sack) it moved away .
    I paused non being really sure of what I had seen, so moved my hand again(sliding on the floor) , the same thing happened.
    The third time I realised it was static doing that..
    So I might see if I can get a static charge on a piece of "inner " tomorrow.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Peter,

I did get mine with exrta perimeter peg points.

I have only used the semi solid inner for two trips but noticed the issue each time, once was on snow.

Hi Franco,

I will try out that method.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools