Topic

Yolla Bolly Middle Eel Wilderness/ Yolla Bolly Lake

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Yolla Bolly Middle Eel Wilderness/ Yolla Bolly Lake

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Me and the boy took a quick trip up North to Yolla Bolly Lake. There was still a lot of snow on trail and the high peaks. Not one mosquito in the area but give it time. The trout fishing was Awesome! We catch and release these trout because we bring plenty of food. My son is always hungry at this age-Always! Here are a few pictures of the trip.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Great weather this weekend Jay. Sorry I missed out. Looks great!

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Glad you're having a good time together Jay. I'll bet taking your kid hiking is a lot of fun.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Ken wish you could of made it-not soul in the area. 4 Lake Loop is looking good.

Luke it is great to hike with my son now. He really enjoys it and likes learning BPL 101 basic skills and he is also responsible for collecting all the fire wood.

Thanks,
    Jay

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Jay I think a lot of boys I've led on trips just see backpacking as an excuse to get their first pocket knife and start their first fire LOL. Unfortunately I don't have any kids of my own to take out (not yet anyway). Unfortunately spending all your free time in the most remote area possible is not condusive to getting married!

What is that area like? I looked into it when I was in CA but heard the snow was too high so I went to Snow Mtn. instead (which I believe was your idea). Anyway I couldn't find much info on it which led me to believe it was either really boring or really off the beaten path.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Looks great Jay.

What act of nature is going on in the seventh photo from the top?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Nice pics Jay. That part of the state doesn't get mentioned by backpackers very often. I might head up to that same lake some time soon.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy it, they grow up fast.

"he is also responsible for collecting all the fire wood"

Good parenting :)

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Looking good. I've been to that area twice now, first time was mid July maybe 12-15 years ago now, still snow on the pass going in. A lady who lives in that area said normally things that time of year would be pretty dry. Minnie Lake is mini. I was sitting in the middle of the North Fork? of the Middle Fork the second day, eating lunch, water in the deepest hole I could find was only up to my belly button. No one back in there, I was tempted to hike in the buff.
    Duane

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Thank you for posting, Jay. I've enjoyed a couple of trips to the Trinity Alps, but not the Yolla Bolly and obviouslly I'm missing out. Thanks for the inspiration.

As for Duane striking out in the buff – please don't! Nothing personal, but no need to fuel the Bigfoot fire that burns in that area.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Nice pictures Jay!
    Is your son coming to the Trinities?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Did you all make it to the Trinities?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

A bunch of us did. Very nice long weekend. So little snow.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Nice. I would love to see a trip report if any of you took pictures. Did you do the 4 lakes loop?

Jeff Weston
    BPL Member

@nudeswimmer

Hey Duane, BP nude is on my list, sounds like Yolla Bolly is the place to do it.  Unfortunately I am taking a few too many friends with me this summer…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools