Topic

North Lake-Evolution Valley-Darwin Bench and Canyon-Over Lamarck Col And Back

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning North Lake-Evolution Valley-Darwin Bench and Canyon-Over Lamarck Col And Back

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Hey all, was wondering what interesting things to see along this route, and how many days this can be done in. Planning on hiking about 10 miles or so a day. I have already been over Lamarck Col and Darwin Basin.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

On some years, the wildflowers can be good from North Lake and over Piute Pass. You can get halfway down the canyon in the first day. Then, down to the bridge and back up toward Evolution may take you the second day. From there, getting up to Darwin Bench or to Darwin Lakes should be an easy third day. On some years, the flowers at Darwin Bench are very good. Then, you might be able to get up over the Col and all the way down in a fourth day. If you haven't been up to high elevation lately, then the 13,000-foot thin air will kick your butt, so it wouldn't be stupid to allocate an extra day.

–B.G.–

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I'm considering doing that exact loop at some point. Been hard to get out lately since I started a new job.
    When is that area expected to be accessible? I can't imagine trying to go over the col in the snow.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Chris it is a relatively low snow year and I expect things to open up earlier than normal. I crossed Larmarck from the West about 4 years ago in mid July. We had snow on the east side of the col. Not too bad, just some well placed footing to avoid postholing and sliding…you just go slow.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I can't imagine trying to go over the col in the snow."

It isn't so bad on cross country skis. The air gets a little thin.

If you want more challenge, try Echo Col.

–B.G.–

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools