Topic

The Worst Kind Of Tent Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The Worst Kind Of Tent Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Hi Guys,

Normally, I'm shaving ounces. However, my summer plans have me pseudo-homeless (by choice) and I need a tent to live out of for 3 months. My hammock is great, but I can't live in it.

I'm thinking about a $200, sub 5lb tent that would work for backpacking with a friend or girlfriend. Any suggestions?

Looking for these characteristics:

-Best Ventilated
    -Completely Rainproof
    -Durable
    -Sub 5lb
    -Not Grey
    -Under $250
    -Self-standing

Thanks for the suggestions! Right now, my top choice is the Big Agnes Lone Spring 2.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Pick up a used Hubba Hubba. (I won't be selling mine!)

I have used mine when I go with my daughter or wife w/great comfort and performance. Great vertical space is it's biggest plus IMO.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Thanks Todd!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

They have a few tents which should meet your requirements and budget as well.

I'm not sure what the weight is but this one is for the budget minded at $67:

http://www.amazon.com/Mountaineering-Meramac-Camping-6-Feet-6-Inch/dp/B004EQEB3I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1367069743&sr=8-3&keywords=alps+tents

I believe their Zephyr tents are under 5lbs.

Slaton Whatley

@alpinistooutdoors

Locale: Catalinas, Saguaro, Grand Canyon

Hi,

Just wanted to say that I've used the Lone Spring 1 on two separate trips now. The company I work for has them for our clients but I've been using one on a few trips just out of curiosity. Obviously they aren't light, especially for the one person version I've been using but I have to say my critique of the tent stops there. It's basically a heavier and tougher Copper Spur. Similar hubbed pole design with one cross bar to spread the roof apart nicely. Super easy to set up, fly attaches quickly and easily, plenty of guy out points on the tent, and super roomy (again I'm referring to the one many version). I've spent about 8 nights in one so far and have enjoyed. I'm already carrying a ridiculous amount of weight on these work trips so the extra lbs weren't of high concern to me. But yeah seems like a solid tent to me.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Are moving it, or is it stationary? What exactly does pseudo-homeless entail?

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

I found a new Marmot Aura 2P for $200, which is in my price range, but the tent is worth $360. It's such a good deal, I pulled the trigger before the 1 in stock disappeared. However, if it's no bueno I'll return it for something suggested in the thread.

It might just be "the" tent though, since it's sub-5lbs and has some rather unique poles with two entrances. plenty big enough for my 6'2" height, too. I don't want to dismiss other ideas until I've taken it out for a night. I think the suggested Hubba Hubba looks more stormproof, but the REI Quarter Dome 2P uses essentially the same system and it hasn't been called out as unstable. Will test.

Pseudo-homeless: We have a yoga commune moving into my family's house, which means the room/apartment I live in is gone for the summer. Since I have to stick around to finish my second degree, I've got to live in the tent in the backyard 3 days out of the week. The other four, I get to head to the beach and work from the coast of Mass, but since the beach house is small, I'll probably still use the tent out of privacy. Also, the girlfriend wants to share for those weekends on the coast.

So, it needs to be livable. One big air mattress and some light blankets, some books, my bag and some clothes. A little less when I'm sharing it. Since it's summertime, it's gotta be well ventilated.

Final caveat: I always like the option to hike. Under 5lbs means I can always take it with me when I don't want to use my hammock; my backpacks can handle that extra luxury weight, though I wouldn't take it on serious hikes.

I realize more ventilation means it's worse in the winter, but if I have to sacrifice one way, I choose ventilation.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Kelty Salida 2? I've seen them for as little as 130 or so before. Good tent for the price and while not UL, lower weight than a lot of other big box freestanding tents.

John Martin
    BPL Member

@snapyjohn

Locale: Pacific NW

Big Agnes website under specials has the lone spring 2 for $159 as a sample.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Hi Max, interesting project :-)

Too bad you want self standing, otherwise you could consider something like a big tipi or a pyramid tent. That could be more liveable. Just thinking.

Cheers

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tipi's are nice (i have one), but i don't think they fall under his request of "Best Ventilated" even with a screened door, the storm door fully open, and peak vent open.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'm just curious Max, what's with the "not grey" specification?

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I used an REI quarter dome 2 for a number of years and frankly, other than the weight and bulk I really, really liked that tent. Inexpensive, roomy, great vestibule space, can comfortably fit 2 and for 1 it's a palace.

Just sayin'

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Honestly, I think you'd be better off getting a massive, cheap WalMart tent and a dedicated backpacking tent. You'd have much more room with the WalMart tent and then carry much less weight if desired when backpacking.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I second Michael Duke's comment. Get an inexpensive, roomy car camping tent for living in the yard. You will swiftly tire of not being able to stand up in a backpacking tent after living in it a few days and of just generally not having a lot of space. Frankly in your situation I'd also get either a really big comfortable car camping air mattress or a cot. There's no need to go UL when using your gear as a home that you don't have to carry on your back. I've done that before and won't do it again. If I ever have to do it again, I'm investing in a full on canvas tent with a wood stove. Seriously.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I was going to post along the lines of Michael and Dena too.
    Trying to do it with one tent you end up with a small camping tent and a heavy one for backpacking .

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I agree that a bigger tent would be better for your "yard camping" stint. Maybe try to score an REI Base Camp 6 at their next garage sale? Plenty of room for a cot, and even a desk and an easy chair if you like. You can stand up in it! It'll make you feel like Hemingway in Africa…

And it's too bad you don't like gray. That orange Marmot Aura will attract the bugs far more than a gray tent would (mine does). But you will easily be able to find your Aura in a thick forest at twilight, unlike a Tarptent.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

A decent car camping tent is a good investment as crappy ones can be awkward to pitch and handle wind poorly.

I would highty recommend any of Marmots big tents, I have the Halo 4p and my wife calls it "Chateau Marmot"

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Justin: I agree regarding the ventilation I just can't see another option if I wanted something that I could live in and I would bother to carry when backpacking. If money weren't an option, I would get someone like Bearpaw custom make a big cuben pyramid with two openings, screened doors, perimeter netting, and extra side panel tieouts.

Max: sorry for thread-drift-dreaming…I know you made your thorough specification list to avoid this ;-)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools