Topic

Foster can for use with StarLyte burners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Foster can for use with StarLyte burners

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

I made 4 Foster cans for use with the StarLyte burner when placed under a Caldera-Keg system. No shim is needed. This photo shows the new can on the left. The supporting ridgeline has been relocated 3/4" higher up on the can. The can will then be 3/4" lower inside the cone for more heat absorbtion.

photo FosterCaldera001_zps20fc9841.jpg

The new can is offered only to BPL viewers. It can not be seen by others viewing my stove store site. You have to use this link to see the sale page. I made 4 of these today along with more of the regular cans for the Cone.

The link:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/foster-for-starlyte.php

Packman Pete
    BPL Member

@packmanpete

Locale: Rainy Portland

Well, that's looking good! I do have some questions. Does it come with a lid? I normally use the ridge to help me measure 2 cups in the keg. Is there some type of 'marker' on this design to help me gauge the 2 cup volume? Do you have any pics of a caldera cone rolled up in this can-I'm curious how this would pack with a starlyte stove, the cone, the lid, and possibly a fuel bottle. Thanks!

I appreciate all the help on my previous dilemma. You are a super star in my book.

M F
    BPL Member

@swimming

Do people tend to prefer the starlyte burner to the alcohol stove provided with caldera keg system? What is the difference?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

M fay you can read plenty on this thread and this one .

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Packman, I'll get you a link to a video that shows the cone being packed into it.

The StarLyte burner is becoming very popular as an efficient replacement for the 12-10 stove. Reasons: More compact. Fuel won't spill out and is as efficient if not more so.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

Are these flat bottom cans? If not, would the flat bottom cans be more efficient? I currently have a regular caldera cone with one of your original Fosters pots. The ridgeline was a little small for good support so I had to enlarge it slightly. Are these ridgelines now a good support for cone use? I am interested in the Starlyte option and was wondering what the lightest 2-cup capacity setup you have available is. Thanks for any feedback.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Izeloz, in my experience the flat bottom cans aren't convenient for use with the Caldera Cone as the bottom is too wide to fit through the top opening in the cone easily. You can work around it by opening the cone slightly, but it isn't convenient.
    I would expect the round bottom to be more efficient since it is thinner and has a greater surface area then the flat bottom. I have tested the two cans against each other (not in the Caldera set up, though) and my round bottom can was more efficient. It wasn't necessarily a fair test, however, as my round bottom can has seen more use and is somewhat blackened.
    In any case, the difference in efficiency was very small and wouldn't affect my choice of can. I'd get whichever one is more suitable for you, which basically comes down to the type of pot support you use, in my opinion.
    BTW, I've had no problem with the ridgeline on my can being too small in the3 Caldera Cone. Maybe you were unlucky?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

S Long, I made some aluminum flat bottom pots today. They definitely should fit in the most efficient category. The supporting ridgeline is placed so the pot sits 2.5" from the ground. That dimension is reportedly an ideal distance when using the StarLyte burner.

Tomorrow I'll make a video showing how easy it is for me to insert a flat bottom Foster's into my Keg_Cone.

The Foster can with lid weighs 24 grams.

The StarLyte burner weighs 13 grams

2 cups of water comes up to the supporting ridgeline for easy measuring of water. Plenty of headroom left over so water will not boil over.

This is the lightest 2 cup capacity setup that I have for the Caldera Cone.

(the can will have addition fine line ridgelines below the major supporting ridge)
     photo StarveRock_zps50953507.jpg

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Here is a photobucket video showing how easy it is to insert a flat bottom foster's pot into my Caldera Cone. It also shows how I remove it.

Ask me questions:-)

Click on it to view
     video CalderaFosterStarLyte_zpscb2b269b.mp4

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

All I have to say is, where do I sign up? I already have the cone, but I need to modified starlyte and one of those cans.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I have 4 of them available and will make a sale page at zelphs-stoveworks tomorrow. I'll post a link to it when the page is up. I have not done any test burns with the system yet but I'm sure the results will be under a 1/2 ounce of fuel for 2 cups at 70 degree starting temperature for the water. The flat aluminum bottom and short height of the pot and insulated lid and Modified StarLyte is going to break records. I'm totally involved in spring cleaning and house remodeling so have patience :-) Thanks for your interest S Long

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

"The supporting ridgeline is placed so the pot sits 2.5" from the ground. That dimension is reportedly an ideal distance when using the StarLyte burner."

I did some testing of that dimension and I'm not happy with it. Not happy at all. I'm using denatured alcohol and I'm getting too much soot. I get a 2 cup boil with 1/2 ounce but too much soot.

I did tests with the regular 2 cup foster can with the StarLyte burner shimmed up with another StarLyte burner and it works great. 3 tests all boiled 2 cups of 70 degree water with 1/2 ounce denatured. Boils occured at around 7.5 min and boil continued for approx 1 min and flame out was after about another 1/2 min.

Another thing I didn't like about the shorter version pot is not enough can sticking out above the cone so I could use a silicone pot grabber to lift the can/cone up and pour the water out. There are drawbacks to trying to go too light ;-)

The 1 gram pot lid did not work out well enough for me so that idea is scrapped………………….Bummer!!!!! I did come up with an alternate aluminum lid. I'll be using the new design on all pots. It weighs 4 grams.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

A discussion in another thread prompted me to bump up this thread to say this offer for the special Foster pot is still available. I recently shipped one to Mark.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Man, I don't have the CC for it.
    Bump.
    Duane

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Hi Duane, I searched but could not find a used one for you :) I originally purchased my cone from Gossamer Gear.

I'll keep one eye open for one ;)

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Thank you Dan. I checked out TD last night, not sure what "cone" works with the can, or was a special run. I have two other CC set ups now, plus I cut a couple Foster cans down a few years ago, but never used them in the field, just bench testing once or twice. So many stoves, so little time.
    Duane
    hikerduane at aaahawk dot com
    edit, I see it is for the Keg system. PSS: ordered a can, expensive beer.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Yeah it is. My son pays over $2.25 a can.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Dan, opened the box today as I was out camping with a friend and of course work away from home all week. Very professional job, looks like it came from a factory, love the crimps on the lid, how neat is that? Just wish I had the CC to go with it. May have to buy from TD in Sept or so if we can't come up with some used ones. Thanks again, enjoy your bp trip to CA.
    Duane

Jameson Tisch
    Spectator

@jameson_tisch

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I wasn't sure what to use with the pots Dan made, but he mentions the Keg system in the first post and I saw the post you linked to last week. I'll email him, unless Dan needs it for testing. No rush on my end and I have almost 120 stoves now. :)
    Duane

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Duane, I recently purchased a used Ti Caldera Cone for keg(Whiteblaze). I will modify it to use wood by adding holes to it's base and add an X cross piece to the top for a pot support for other size pots. I'll still be able to use it with alcohol and esbit. I like "dual" purpose :)

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Good, I'll see if I get a reply then from the seller here on BL, just don't need the rest of the bells and whistles. Looking forward to the next step doooooooownnnnnnnnnn. :)
    Duane

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Were you able to get it?

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Dan, received it in the mail, I was away bping in Glacier. So I have a Foster's for both Esbit and the Starlyte stoves now. :) Got home with a few days left of vacation, so played with more new old stoves and split firewood and filled my shed some.
    Duane

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools