Topic

Tall and Slim Softshell Hiking Pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tall and Slim Softshell Hiking Pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Slaton Whatley

@alpinistooutdoors

Locale: Catalinas, Saguaro, Grand Canyon

Hey guys,

Just curious if there are any other tall and skinny folk out there that may be able to point me in the right direction. I'm 6'4 and 160lbs (soaking wet with rocks in my pocket). I usually wear a 32X34 pant size and I have had quite the time finding a good solid pair of hiking pants that I really like. I have a pair of Kuhl Liberators which have been great but I really prefer a slimmer, more technical, fit to my pants.

I'm looking for something that's a lightweight soft shell fabric. Maybe even not soft shell if the fit is right. Anyone out there my size and have recommendations for pants or companies that have a good 34" inseam selection on hiking pants?

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

This idea depends on how much you are willing to pay. I offer this as just one possible route to getting what you want – you can get custom sized soft shell pants (and jackets) from Beyond Clothing (formerly Beyond Fleece). Also customizable pockets, and so on.

I am hard to fit and I figured if I was going to pay the bucks to get something made out of the best material I might as well pay the %50-70 premium to get exactly what I wanted. I still do most of my trips in the same pair of these I have had for 7-8 years:

http://www.beyondclothing.com/shop/mens-outdoor-apparel/pants/products/roughrider-pant-d-steel

The stretchy Scholler is amazing and can even stand up to butt-sliding (just this side of actual rock climbing) maneuvers on slickrock during a 2 week trip through Canyonlands NP. Check out their web site for the other stuff they offer. The roughriders are almost perfect bulletproof hiking pants and water rolls right off of them. They have winter stuff too.

However, I'm sure others can offer more economical alternative suggestions. I do know that mine have lasted a lot more than twice as long as the typical nylon pants I have hiked in in the past, so in the end I have no problem with their net economy. They used to (possibly still do) mail out swatches of the different materials they use if you ask them. For what they are they cost in the same ball park as Patagonia, but tailored custom to your measurements.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

PM sent to Slayton.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I am 6 foot and 160 pounds and like the Outdoor Research Men's Ferrosi Soft Shell Pants. They are a light weight soft shell pant at 11oz.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

For a midweight softshell look at the REI acme pant. The schoeller material is bomber and they have a surprisingly technical fit for REI. I guess in the last two years or so they've been making more athletic cut clothing than their usual boxy style. I haven't tried the mistral to it may be cut different, but it's billed as a lightweight alternative to the Acme.

If you want a lighter nylon pant look into the Arc'Teryx rampart (very durable material, light, but slightly low rise cut) or the perimeter. Unfortunately I prefer the perimeter cut but not the fabric. I love the rampart fabric since it's the only thing I've owned that survives years of desert thorns with virtually no wear and tear visible.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&category=Pants-Shorts&model=Palisade-Pant

The palisades. You can get these in a 35-32 size, which should work well. I'm 6'2 175, and I like arc teryx athletic fitting softshells. The cut is nicely tapered and articulated.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

They work great for me,though prolly too warm for temps over about 50-60F.

Not quite waterproof, but pretty good; wind-resistant enough; and warm enough on-the-go down to about 10-20F, 0 or below with woolies underneath, and rain pants on top for longer breaks or really high winds.

On the other hand, in the winter i very often wear North Face Freedom pants (on sale @ REI <$100 right now). they're insulated soft-shell, warm enough for a good long walk in the woods but not too warm for a few beers after and very comfortable, with vents on the outer thighs that work really well… and available in any color you can possibly imagine as long as it's black ;-)

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Westcomb tends toward an athletic cut and at one time sold pants with either a regular or medium rise. I have a pair several years old and really like them. Fit me fine but though I'm tall I'm not skinny.

Just Me

@sompio

I've never tried them so far, but Marmot offers pants with a long 34" inseam.

Thomas Budge

@budgthom

Locale: Idaho

There's a Norwegian company that makes ski clothing that fits tall and skinny people well. Can't remember their name (sorry), but backcountry.com used to sell it. I think they make hiking pants too

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Maybe Bergans of Norway? If so, very high quality stuff.

Slaton Whatley

@alpinistooutdoors

Locale: Catalinas, Saguaro, Grand Canyon

Wow guys, I hadn't checked this thread in a day and look at all the suggestions! I really really appreciate all the input. I'm going to check all the suggestions you made. Thanks again! Tall and skinny unite!

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Thomas, you're probably thinking of Norrona. I know bc.com is the exclusive US retailer of the brand (or was as of a year ago).

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Haglofs.
    Best damn pants ever. They keep knocking it out of the park lately. VERY happy with mine.
    NOTE: They tend to run a bit small, so order a full size up.
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/haglofs-flint-pants-soft-shell-for-men~p~5310h/?filterString=s~haglofs%2Fclothing~d~5%2Fmens-clothing~d~15%2Fmens-pants~d~143%2F&colorFamily=02

haglofs

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools