Topic

Beverage / Cooking Koozie

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Beverage / Cooking Koozie

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Cole Crawford
    BPL Member

@cdc43339

Locale: Somerville, MA

Just picked up one of these for a new cookpot / mug. I'll be using it mostly for basic boil + pasta or similar. What do people use as koozies / insulators for these while you're waiting for your food to heat up?

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I use reflectix metalic bubble wrap from Lowe's. You can cut it to fit exactly as you want.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Reflectix works well. Sometimes I just use my hat.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Cole Crawford
    BPL Member

@cdc43339

Reflectix looks somewhat like a car windshield cover to me. Are they somewhat comparable? I'd rather cut one of those up for MYOG than buy 25 feet of Reflectix

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Some upscale hardware stores sell Reflectix by the foot.

–B.G.–

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I used to use my MYOG reflectix cozy, but I've since made a neoprene one and use that one now. Nice thing about the rolls of reflectix Is that you can use it for other things too, like a sleeping pad to supplement what you've got, etc.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Reflectix looks somewhat like a car windshield cover to me. Are they somewhat comparable? I'd rather cut one of those up for MYOG than buy 25 feet of Reflectix"

I made one out of a windshield cover which worked just fine. I could put a pot in it fresh off of the stove without damaging the material. I saw that they aren't all made the same so YMMV.

I saw that the Refectix was noticebly thicker and presumably offered better insulation so my A.R.tendencies kicked in and I had to buy a roll.

Paul Mason

@dextersp1

Does that thing have a lid? If not, get or make one. You will use more fuel and the food will get cold while you wait for it to rehydrate (depending upon conditions) without a lid.

Refletix is the the way to go. I've been using a Refletix cozy with freezer bags in the Co. mts – 20/30s temps – for freeze dried eggs and bacon, mac and cheese.

Boil water, wait 10 min and a hot meal – great.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Just picked up one of these for a new cookpot / mug."

3.2 oz for a 24 oz capacity aluminum mug? Not too shabby! Have you received it yet and if so, is the quoted weight legit?

Cole Crawford
    BPL Member

@cdc43339

I just got it today. First impressions are solid. The way the handles are attached to the main mug body by some flat studs of some sort. The rivets would probably damage a nalgene, which is what I think it's designed to fit around, but few BPL'ers will be using those anyway. Can't comment on the weight because I don't own a scale that accurate but by the good old heft test, I'd say it's pretty close. Great deal for someone who doesn't want to spend two or three times as much on ti or deal with the potential cooking difficulties.

Cole Crawford
    BPL Member

@cdc43339

No included lid is the biggest downside, but I'll get to flex my DIY muscles and make one so that's fine. Any suggestions on that?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I just use foil but other seem to like making them out of a pie tin. I was going to replace my SP 700 with a SP 600 but now I'm not so sure. That's a good find and thanks for sharing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools