Topic

Losing the occasional feather from my quilt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Losing the occasional feather from my quilt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

I'm new to down, but I have a EE RevX 20 degree, and have put about 9 nights in it since receiving it at the end of January (I love it). In that time, I've found maybe 4 or 5 small feathers that seem to have migrated out of the quilt; in my pack, in the tent, on my jacket. Just wondering if it is typical to lose an occasional feather? I've looked over the quilt and can't find a hole. I'm guessing there must be a spot where a perfectly aligned feather can be pushed through the stitching. Something I should worry about, or ignore until something drastic happens?

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I wouldn't worry about it. It is typical that a few feathers make their way out of sleeping bags when used. If you are getting a few per night, then I would be concerned. My Western Mountaineering bags will shed a feather or two over the course of a few days.

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Ben is right. I usually loose a few feathers too over the course of a trip but take into consideration how many feathers or plumes there are just to make up an ounce and you begin to realize that the loss of a few doesn't really make any substantial difference. However, if you have a hole in your bag and all the down is falling out, that would be cause for some concern ;)

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Sounds like nothing out of the ordinary and I should continue loving the quilt. Thanks guys.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

If you see a feather sticking out try to pull it back in from the other side.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Ignore. A few feathers out of the million or so in there won't matter much.

Cheers

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

That quilt is clearly faulty and you should get rid of it ASAP before there are no feathers left.

But there is a silver lining I will buy it from you for pennies on the dollar.

note: sarcasm is present above.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools