Topic

2 person cuben mids: MLD vs locus gear vs bear paw vs?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2 person cuben mids: MLD vs locus gear vs bear paw vs?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Ok. Despite my New Years resolution to not buy any more gear, I'm now pretty much replacing my big three.

So…time for the shelter!

I think I want to try a 2 person mid with a 1.5 person net. I need the space for me and my big shedding dog. I have a hexamid solo plus and really, really like it. For me. And me alone. CharlieDog does not at all respect morning condensation. Or the net floor. Or the noseeum door.

So…the thought of a nice inner for me, possibly chuck if the bugs are super bad, or to be able to keep him in the big vestibule if he's gotten into say, horse poo, is a nice one.

Obviously MLD duomids seem to be the way to go, but 12 weeks takes me to the end of summer and well, I'm impatient. Bear paw has been excellent in email exchanges, their cuben is nicely affordable and the wait is far more palatable. They also can easily do some customizations I'd like. Locus Gear looks phenomenal, but they are a bit pricey and not sure about ordering from Japan?

Anyway, any experience with bear paw's cuben mids? I'm looking specifically at the Luna 2, but maybe something else?
    There really isn't much recent on this forum – some older stuff commenting on less than perfect craftsmanship, but not sure if that is still the case or should even be considered. Other companies I'm overlooking?

Anyone have one they want to sell??

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Jennifer,

I ordered from Locus Gear and had a really good experience, with the shelter shipped in about 3 weeks. I haven't used it yet, so I can't really comment too much, but the quality is excellent. This is just to say that you should have no qualms about ordering from LG if that's the direction you choose to go.

Edit: I should note that I got a silnylon Khufu, not the cuben. I can't imagine that would change LG's great customer service, though!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

A post by BPL member Anthony Weston, who had both the Khufu and the Duomid. You might find it useful.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=58175&skip_to_post=642102#642102

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I use a cuben duomid bought off gear swap 3 years ago. It is my designated winter shelter, but I'll also use it for family trips, fly fishing trips during the buggy seasons, or any time I just feel like it (I'm a poncho tarper in spring and fall) For me, it's the perfect shelter and I'd replace it unhesitatingly without the need to research other options if it were to become damaged. I can't comment on the other two (which is probably more what you were looking for) but I own a lot of MLD gear and the quality is uncompromising. If you decided to wait, you would not regret it.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Jennifer, here's a link to a video of a Brit with his dog in a duomid.

YouTube video

Chad Eagle

@eaglesd

Locale: SoCal

I can't say anything to the others, but I have dealt with BPWD a couple times and always got quick responses and great gear a great price. I had him make me a custom piece last year and after settling on design details he was able to get it to me in a week for a trip I had planned. That ended up becoming his Ute shelter. I have been really happy with it and will definately buy from him again.

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

I don't have much to add as far as extra insights go. However, I have a cuben duomid and love it, love it, love it. In almost all cases it's my solo go to shelter of choice. (after being stuck in a "solo" shelter in bad weather for a night and hating every minute of it, I purchased a "two person" shelter.) I want to reinforce for you that I believe a duomid is the way to go, whether its from MLD or Bearpaw. You could also try posting a WTB in the gear swap? You never know if someone wants to get rid of theirs. Best of luck on your quest and either way I'm sure you'll be satisfied with your investment.
    -James

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools