Topic

MYOG Advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jason Johnson
    BPL Member

@etex9799

I never thought I would make my own quilt but having researched for countless hours Im going to do it…BUT….I am very interested in hearing from those that already have, specifically what material you used for outer/inner..if you like it or if you wish you would have used something different.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I used WPB fabric, like from quest (2 oz/yd2) – too heavy, no need for the waterproofness since I sleep under tarp if it's raining – but that depends on your requirements

I used Nobul http://www.titaniumgoat.com/Fabric.html for liner – great! – light weight – if you are not careful with your gear it may rip or something?

I used Apex which is good – just have to quilt around perimeter

Maybe next time I'll use down because it weighs half as much

Michael Pappas

@mpap89

Locale: bay area

I used nobul (the original kind) and momentum 90t from thru-hiker.com with 850 fill down from diygearsupply
    I highly recommend nobul for the liner but wouldn't use it for the outside. I think it's too fragile. It's really soft and feels great against the skin though.
    i think starting with a synthetic insulation might be a good idea for you first quilt. there are so many less things to take into account and they're cheaper. Once you feel comfortable with that process take the plunge on a down quilt.
    Michael

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I ordered the down quilt kit from Thru-hiker when it was available only with the 1.1oz ripstop. It has worked fine, I've had next to no down leakage. It feels a little plastic on the skin when its humid out is my biggest complaint. I tried just stuffing the down by hand and it was a horrendous ordeal, I wouldn't do it again.

The next quilt I'm going to make is going to have a Nobul liner, Apex insulation, and M50 shell. Or maybe M90, I haven't made up my mind yet :) I'm leaning towards the lighter fabrics for the marginal weight savings since the Apex is going to be quite a bit heavier than using down. I'm going with Apex since its so much easier to work with, I used it for my wife's sleeping bag and it was a dream compared to working with the down.

Adam

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

See our MYOG article on quilts for lots of info.

Cheers

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I made mine for less than $75 total price for everything. I bought 1.1 oz 30D Ripstop seconds from DIY Gear Supply, as well as the cords/toggles, thread and bought 5.0 APEX from Thru-Hiker. Snaps and sleeping bag strap buckles from local stores.

Total weight came in at 24 oz. I'm happy with that weight. Could be less if I used more expensive M50 or other lighter fabrics… but then the fabric cost alone would be near the TOTAL I spent.

It breathes just fine, and fabric is quite comfortable. The 5.0 APEX is plenty warm and packs down small enough for me.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I've made a few quilts and they are a lot of fun. Three of them are posted on BPL somewhere if you wanted to take a look. The first one used all 7D nylon and is by far my favorite. Soft as silk and light as a feather. The other two were for friends & used 30D nylon. The 30D is bomber stuff compared to the 7D, but is of course a bit heavier. Budget friendly too. I think both of the 30D quilts combined cost less than my 7D quilt.

Ryan

Zachary SCOTT

@zach

I made one awhile back with a Pertex Quantum Outer from Thru-hiker and Momentum 90T inner. I would highly recommend this combination of materials. It strikes a good balance between weight, comfort, durability, and water resistance with the Pertex Fabric.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

When I made my down quilt, I used M50 for both the liner and shell material. Its a great fabric, but if I was to do it again, I would use M90 for the liner, as I think it feels better against the skin. However, I love my quilt the way it is, and I plan on using it for a long long time. 18oz in the stuff sack with 12oz of down. I've used it down to the low 20's with nothing but a base-layer on.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

I've made quilts using M50 (thru hiker) for the liner & shell, 7d (tigoat) for the liner & shell, Pertex Quantum (Zpacks) for the shell and 7d for the liner, the old orange M50 for the shell & liner and the old black M55 for the shell & liner. Of all these combinations I like the Pertex Quantum for the shell and 7d for the liner best. I used a combination of Pertex Quantum for most of the shell and black M50 for the last few inches and the end of the footbox on a recent winter quilt.

The green Pertex Quantum from Zpacks sheds moisture well and is reasonably breathable (and looks good). The 7d is soft and comfortable, but I'm not sure it will be available again. M50 has a good dwr but is not very breathable and has a somewhat plastic feel. The Nobul1 (Tigoat) is very soft and more shear/see-thru than 7d and seems to be delicate.

I'm going to try using M50 for the shell and Nobul1 for the liner on my latest quilt. The M50 will protect from moisture while being over 30% lighter than Pertex Quantum and the Nobul1 should be comfortable on the inside. The quest for the 'perfect' quilt, will it ever end? Have fun!

Rebecca Canode
    Spectator

@bcanode

I'm also trying to decide on fabrics for a quilt. It looks likes tigoat is out of 7d and the Nobul 1, so that leaves Momentum 90 or Nobul2 as a liner options. Any opinions on which would be better? Are there any other options?

Cosmic Osmo

@cosmicosmo

I used 1.1oz ripstop from DIYGearSupply for an outer shell, Nobul1 for inner liner, and 850+ down from Wilderness Logics for my quilt. The nobul1 really does feel great, but it isn't 100% downproof, which means I wake up with little fuzzies all over me. I don't think the loss of down is fast enough that it'll ever compromise the insulation of the quilt, but it's messy. I probably wouldn't use it again.

The 1.1 ripstop shell is great. Low cost, light enough weight, confidently strong, and a bit of water resistance as a failsafe. It makes just a bit of crinkling noise as the quilt moves around.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools