Topic

Packing a Bear Canister

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Packing a Bear Canister

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

I'm curious why you gave up your 14" Bearikade and spent the additional money to get a 12" customized version. Pack issues or what? What type of pack do you have, how did you carry the 14" Expedition Bearikade? I'm evaluating the 10" and 14" Bearikades now. Thanks.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

i ordered my ursack after hearing it was posted on sibbg's site & it's already shipped

so no canister for me on my jmt trip – i'll go with the ursack

when i have carried canisters in the past it's always been upright – never did understand carrying them the other way :)

james clark

@jwfclark

Locale: Southern California

To Roleigh Martin:

I rented the 14" Bearikaded. They have a great rental program for through hikers. Concerning the cost of the 12" model; they split the cost between the 10" and 14" models for the 12" model so there really is no additional cost to speak of. I chose the 14" model so I could carry 13 days of fool and sented items inside the canister. I now find that I can get a full 11 days of food inside my 12" can.

I while I have used other cannisters I really like the bearikade. For me it is easier to open (I added some tape on the top to help pull off the top after the fasteners are turned). For piece of mind I also tape a quarter to the top so I always know where a spare coin is to open the top if needed. It seems to be marginally bigger inside also which I find invaluable sometimes. I also like the wider top.

I carried a ULA Equipment Catalyst, which is not designed to stow a 14" canister Horizontally. However, it seemed to hold all other 12" or smaller canisters horizontally. For me, a horizontally stowed cannister is more comfortabe; hence my decision to get the 12" model. I had to keep the 14" cannister vertical, centered, and inside the pack near the top as it never rode will outside the pack on top. It was nice to have the additional space the 14" cannister provided however.

I also use a ULA P2 and, for heavier loads, an Ospey Aether 85. A 12" cannister fits horizontally in both with room to spare. The Aether 85 may even take a 14" cannister horizontally if you get the larger sized pack and are willing to work it in.

Hope this helps you with your selection………

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

James, my understanding is that if you tape anything to the cannister, that it gives the Bear something to grab onto and allow it to walk away with it. I had talked to the manufacturer about putting flourescent tape around the outside to make the black cannister visible if it got moved by a bear at night, and he said "no" — do not do so in case the bear uses lose tape to walk away with it. He suggested spray painting flourescent paint onto the cannister.

Thanks for your detailed response. It was very informative. Do any of the packs that fit a 12" cannister horizontally have aluminum stays to provide upright support? I have a Starlite pack from sixmoondesign which supports 35 pounds (I proved it to myself last year on a 9 day hike), my base gear is 22 pounds, the extra weight was food and water. I am evaluating a LuxuryLite pack (I don't like the loosey goosey feeling of their belt, but am debating using the LuxuryLite pack with a Kelty External Frame belt which makes the LuxuryLite pack ride more like a traditional pack). The LuxuryLite pack allows the Expedition Cannister to ride sideways on the pack at the bottom however.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Roliegh,
    I have a practically unused "original" LuxuryLite belt. It attaches to the frame firmly, not loose like the "hook". If you want it to use on a LL frame I'll let it go cheap.
    email me at [email protected].

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools