Topic

longsleeve t-shirt that offers sun protection in hot weather

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) longsleeve t-shirt that offers sun protection in hot weather

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    William McAlpine
    BPL Member

@virtu

What are the lightest weight long-sleeve t-shirts for HOT weather (>90 degrees) that still offer sun protection?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I don't know if it's THE lightest, but I have an old (& fading fast) polyester LS T from Wally World (Starter Brand) that is the thinnest, lightest I've seen.

That said, if you're not stuck on a T shirt, then Columbia makes some very light and airy LS buttondown fishing apparel that I prefer, as it is cooler and has venting options and a fold-up collar for some sun protection. One of these worked great for me on a very sunny 5 day trip.

That said, don't just grab the first "light" one you see, but feel the different styles to see which is lightest as they do vary from style to style.

Jon Hancock
    Spectator

@bigjackbrass

Locale: Northwest England

Possibly the lightest you'll find that has actually been tested for sun protection may be Rohan's Ultra Silver Crew: http://www.rohan.co.uk/Product/Detail/MensBaseLayers_03075?ocode=03075595

Mine weighs 79g (2.8 oz) for a men's size large. A remarkably light yet dense material. It's intended as underwear, of course, so don't expect miraculous durability if dragging it through the bush, but so far I've been very impressed with how tough it is.

Main problems for people in the USA are likely to be price and availability. And they only make it in black.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I really like my Patagonia Sun Hoody. At temperatures > 90 F, every shirt will feel hot if you're moving with a pack on. I'd consider using an umbrella in your conditions.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

White Patagonia Silkweight Capilene Crew. Best desert/sunny hiking shirt in the universe IMHO. My medium is 4.2 oz. SUPER durable. I have a few that are 10 years old and they look like new. You will probably stain the white one before you wear it out.

I don't know what SPF they would rate, but no sun issue under it for me at all after hiking all day in the Mohave, so I'm sure it is enough. And the long sleeves don't even register since it breathes so well, so free arm protection.

If I could afford enough of them that is all I would ever wear as a base layer, even in the "real" world! Then I'd just switch to the merino blend version in cold weather. LOL

+1 on UL umbrella. Put some Mylar space blanket on top a la Jardine. When others see you they will be insanely jealous … after they stop laughing and think about how frekin' hot it is out.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

In hot weather I don't care for a tight shirt, as most T's seem to be. As for material, most people are going to be most comfortable in a 60/40 cotton/poly blend — which is good, you can buy a standard dress shirt; no special expensive clothing. Note that most of my hot weather hiking is in deserts, not Louisiana.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

For a closer fitting tee I love my arc'teryx phase sl. It wicks so fast that it feels like an AC system when there's a slight breeze. If you want something with venting and more airy look at any of the vented travel shirts (MHW Canyon, ExOfficio Air Strip Lite, REI Sahara, Columbias…) or as Nick says a standard 60/40 dress shirt. Just make sure the color is light. Anything darker than yellow absorbs enough solar radiation to feel hot on the skin.

Also like Nick my primary experience is in the Desert and not the Swamps (although I argue the monsoon is just as humid and hotter).

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

"As for material, most people are going to be most comfortable in a 60/40 cotton/poly blend"

Wow, couldn't disagree more on that one, personally. I agree with Dustin that a very light (not skin tight) synthetic can feel like an AC system with a slight breeze. Might possibly be due, as he suggests, to the evaporative cooling since they also seem to cut wind chill on cooler days when I'm not sweating. You get the original advantage of sweating minus the heat from the sun.

My advise to the OP is to get one and see if he likes it in the sun.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Go to a thrift shop and find a thin dress shirt. The best hot weather shirt you can find.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Patagonia Capilene Stretch weight. I have a couple and they are perfect for hot, sunny weather. They have a stretch and not stretch version. The stretch version is UPF 50, vs 15 or something for non stretch.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

I like arcteryx phase sl and exofficio sol cool.

David H
    Spectator

@amarony

Locale: South Dakota

I pulled the trigger on this cheap Marmot alternative on STP, have yet to test it but while looking at it the material does seem dense enough to stand up to the 50spf claim.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-windridge-graphic-shirt-upf-50-long-sleeve-for-men~p~4937c/?filterString=s~marmot-long-sleeve%2F&colorFamily=01

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools