Topic

Packing a No Sniveller quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Packing a No Sniveller quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

For experienced users of the No Sniveller quilt, do you pack it in the compression sack that came with it or pack it another way?

P.S.
    jacksrbetter.com is having a Trail Days sale on their quilts

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

I use a slightly bigger sack. Doesn't take up much room, and feels good not to crush it…
    hw

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

No sack at all, but I do use a pack liner, which is ehh… kind of a sack after all.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

That's a great compression sack that comes with the JRB quilts. However, I never use a compression sack of any kind- this leads to reduced loft in down and a shorter bag life. Personally I do what Eric does and leave my bag large and uncompressed in the bottom of my pack or I use a very large and oversized stuff sack.

If you do use the compression sack, I'd recommend you not cinch it down very much and only use it for short periods of time.

By the way, look forward to a set of reviews on Jacks R Better products coming out in the coming weeks!

Doug

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

If one's thinking of getting the Arctic Dry Pack, you can just plop it in the bottom—no fuss, no muss, no stuff sacks, no pack liners. I'm going to love this dry sack approach.

But using my SUL pack, my quilt just goes to the bottom of the pack liner.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Hi John, Eric, Doug, Kevin

I tried the NS in a large stuffsack

Also tried just pushing to bottom of pack (Z1) – fits well

Thanks for the tip about not compressing it

I'm going to get a bag liner – have you tried the BPL Pack Liners? (3 for less than $5)

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I've compressed mine for each hike for over 2 years w/no signs of decreased loft. I do, however, always store it unstuffed at home.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

>> compressed mine for each hike for over 2 years w/no signs of decreased loft.

hi todd,

Good to know that I can compress during hikes for two years at least if I so choose.

Are you compressing mainly to conserve space in pack?

Erik Sund

@sundek

This is an interesting thread for me. Back in my youth nobody I knew had a compression sack but we did jam our big ? fill power bags as into the smallest stuff sack possible, mainly because our bags were huge. Nowadays, try to avoid compression my down and especially synthetic loft gear as much as possible. I know that packing the sleeping bag or quilt near the bottom of one's back is a common strategy and has a lot of advantages (load distribution, convenient access to other items used on the trail, etc) however I've always wondered about the wisdom of throwing all of my other gear on top of the sleeping bag. Isn't this effectively a form of compression? Or is 10-15 lbs worth of gear and supplies simply not enough to matter?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

George,

In response to your question, Yes, I compress simply to conserve volume. My biggest challenge isn't weight, it's minimizing volume!!!!!

Peter Pan also says compressing in this fashion is ok, as long as you don't store it that way for long.

Todd

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

I ended up stuffing the No Sniveller quilt into a BLP pack liner (size small), 1 oz. Packed/mashed it in the bottom of pack.

Will used the JRB compression sack when I need space. Probably on my next hike coming up. I don't like the idea of compressing, but it sounds like it wouldn't hurt if I need to occassionally.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I use the provided "compression sac". For a start it is a very clever and simple design and it does offer some degree of latitude , so I compress it according to the volume I need to have. I wish that I had purchased a spare one for my "night bag" ( wine bladder, wool hat,gloves,Icebreaker top and bottom,coolmax socks, wool jumper and Sansa MP3 player)
    Franco

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools