Topic

Xtherm: Too Warm?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Xtherm: Too Warm?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mark Heiser

@74kilos

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

For warm sleepers, do you find this pad to be too warm in non-winter conditions? Or do you find your warmth depends mostly on your bag?

I tried my new EE revelation 20 last night in quilt mode. Unfortunately it had to be inside (with the windows open at least) because I live in a 6 story building and have no outdoor space.

I was wearing light polyester long sleeve tops and bottoms and smartwool socks. I got about 4 hours of sleep before waking up super toasty, at which point my neck was really hurting so I just climbed into bed. The low around here got to 50F.

So, which do you think has the biggest impact, pad or quilt (vented as much as possible)?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I asked this recently as well and took the plunge…See the original thread….

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=74965&skip_to_post=640425#640425

You were likely too warm due to the 20* quilt indoors.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Pad made no difference. Too much insulation coupled with the hot desire to sleep outdoors…

Mark Heiser

@74kilos

…use search first. Thanks for the quick reply though!

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

LOL! I tried my just arrived 10 degree Revelation X indoors last night about the same temperature as you I was toasty not too hot. But I am a very cold sleeper!

Mark Heiser

@74kilos

Haha, yea I was excited. I'm even going on a trip in a week to Shenandoah NP, but couldn't wait. At least my wife is visiting friends this weekend so she didn't see my crazy…

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The pad just keeps the ground from sucking away your heat, so shouldn't make a difference in warmer weather, unless you're counting on that to keep you cool.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

The room underneath yours was heated, so the pad can't really insulate against cold if there isn't any. Being inside a tent increases your warmth- being inside a building with essentially a heated floor does even more. You weren't cold because it wasn't cold.

If you take your pad out into the woods, and it's 20º, and you have a 20º bag, and you're too warm, then it might be a reason to doubt the X-Therm, but this test is not going to do it. Sounds fun, though.

P S

@xeren

Locale: Southern California

i agree with everyone else- the xtherm hasn't been too warm on warm nights- I just camped in 50 degree weather on catalina last weekend and it wasn't too warm at all.

on the other hand, i've camped in 60 degree low weather with an older, much less warm pad and was way too hot- so i don't think the pad makes much of a difference when it's not keeping your from being cold.

Justin McCabe

@justinmc

I have a Rev X 20 as well and for temp regulation I just stick my leg/foot out of the side. You won't always have the option of changing your pad and throwing extra clothing in the middle of the night generally is a circus act, but you can always relatively easily expose another leg/arm etc to cool off.

Everyone is different but, being from mild Southern California, I've found that 20 degrees puts me solidly in the "holy hell it's cold" factor, so because I know what I'm in for, I have a puffy and capiline bottoms on. For me, temp regulation gets more finicky in the 30-50 range, that's where my feet go in and out of the quilt throughout the night.

Once you've experimented a bit with the quilt in a variety of conditions, you'll know what pieces of kit to bring to augment it.

Hope that helps.

Justin McCabe

@justinmc

just realized I didn't directly answer your question. Both the pad and the quilt play a role in heat loss. It's somewhat hard to answer that question because it would require knowing different factors. Practically speaking, the pad might make more of a different in 30 degree weather if you're sleeping on half frozen spring ground, whereas it would make less of a difference if you're on a highly dense bed of pine needles and soft dirt.

Oh the joys of variables!

Roger had a great exhaustive article on pads a few months back that might help with the pad insight.

Mark Heiser

@74kilos

Thanks for all the input. This weekend is looking like maybe lows around 40 up in the mountains, so we'll see what happens with it. There may be limbs hanging out in all directions, haha!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools