Topic

Two people on one side of a big mid?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Two people on one side of a big mid?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Lachlan Fysh
    BPL Member

@lachlanfysh

Hi all,

Seeking a new 2-man tent for my girlfriend and I.

I think this guy's setup looks really cool, giving a good mix of bug free living space and vestibule:

http://fils-rl.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/supermid-innernest.html (in french, but pics are the main interest)

I'd like to do something similar, but swapping the Supermid for an Oware (or BD, Locus Gear), mainly to avoid the MLD wait times.

He looks like he has reasonable space for two on one side of the pole, but he's also using CCF pads, whereas we use neoairs. Has anyone got experience sleeping in this configuration in a 9×9 mid and can comment on how much usable width there is? Like the link, I'd do a well fitted custom Bearpaw inner, and obviously we can live with being fairly close…

Alternative would be to jump up to the 10×10 or 11×11 Oware, but then it's heavier and site selection gets progressively harder, so I would prefer to stick to 9×9 if it is workable (plus I think the Locus Gear Khafra looks really well made, so I'd probably go down that road over Oware if choosing 9×9…)

Edit: Foolishly doing my due diligence after posting, I now realise that the Khafra is slightly rectangular and not as tall, so unlikely to work regardless, and the BD mega light is more like 7.2' square, which won't cut it… So I guess it's really just Oware vs Oware :)

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

Hi. I have an Oware 9*9 I got secondhand a few years ago.

not got an inner though.

reckon could be tight with an inner if you are 'big''folks, though you could offset the pole base somewhat.

I'd certainly go for the lineloc and mid panel tieout options. I added my own and they really make a difference to space and windflap. ( 4more stakes and guys though!)

edit. Just had a look at the french chaps web post. If the Oware was pitched higher like his Supermid, there would be more room.

for my wet n windy climate I'd prefer semi solid fabric walls (say first 18") in the sides and rear of inner. And a full T zip for more versatility.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I don't believe you will have a problem.
    You can offset the pole as molej suggested. Floor space really is not an issue.
    Drips from the terp can splash back pretty good. As molej was saying, some fabric around the lower perimiter would be a nice touch.

The biggest problem I foresee is the differing heights with two pieces of gear. I would suggest a 3" height difference, between them for starters. This will insure you don't get draped mesh around you head, feet and outside edge arms (.and mosquito bites.)

Note that you could drop the mesh tent later on, or, in low bug years.

Handling two pieces of gear can be annoying. You might consider custom doing a half floor and mesh partition w/door(s.) You will almost always need a ground cloth, or floor anyway. Sleeping with your partener is often too warm for a sleeping bag, soo, you are going to want some sort of bug protection half the time, anyway. You could ask BearPaw to sew in a floor and mesh wall, saving about 6oz over a seperate piece and eliminating the set-up problems of two pieces.

BTW: The Neoairs are within an inch of the CCF and inflatable pads.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Off setting the pole you'll have no issue sleeping two side by side. Works well, with gear room on the other side of the pole.

A Megamid measures 104 inches along the sides when pitched with a 68 inch center height. Due to the slope of the walls I (@ 6 ft) wouldn't want anything much smaller.

Lachlan Fysh
    BPL Member

@lachlanfysh

How much can you angle the pole safely?

I pulled out the old calculator and did some trigonometry and would say that with a vertical pole the 10×10 would suit us, the 9×9 would be a little tight (my mat being 25" wide). I think the inner is required for Australian conditions (for my girlfriend anyway), and in either condition the person sleeping on the wall side (probably me) will be against the mesh of the net, but not the actual fly, so that's ok..

If the pole can be safely angled 6" then that basically gives you the 10×10 living space with slightly less vestibule, which seems like a fair trade off… Plus lower weight, cost, easier site location and availability of gray/green circus tent colours on the Oware :)

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

6" of pole offset is easy. You'd barely notice it when pitching. Three times as much is certainly doable, but the mid will look a bit odd and stake tension will be unbalanced. Probably not ideal with high winds, but not a big deal at 30 mph or less.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Lachlan
    You could look at the Tarptent StratoSpire 2.
    pretty much a two pole pyramid with two corners supports (smaller footprint)
    No need to fiddle with pole angles, plus you have two large vestibules/entry points and a fully rain protected floor.
    About 1.1kg plus poles…
    ( I look after TT in Australia)

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The go lite sl5. Is 9.5 ft square. It is worth checking out. Two can fit on one side of the pole

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools