Topic

Does anone still use tyvek as a ground cloth?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Does anone still use tyvek as a ground cloth?

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

In the winter, I use a sheet of kitemaking Tyvek off of Amazon for windproofing in my hammock. Works great!

Betsy Frazier

@dustydeva

Locale: Columbia River Gorge

I tried using Tyvek under my Squall 2 a few years ago and discovered how big and bulky it was. Switched to the indoor window insulation for all my shelters and love it. So much lighter and packs down small. It takes a beating and keeps on ticking. Haven't had to replace any pieces yet, but if one piece does get a hole in it, it is easy and cheap to replace it.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I still use Tyvek as a ground cloth most nights. It's a 30"x84" piece of 1025D Tyvek that Lawson used to sell. Comes in at 2.4oz and is pretty durable with not much of a weight penalty over polycro.

Ryan

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

"I read about how non water resistant it is, particularly the lighter variant, is that 1433?, which you can quite literally see light through the holes if I remember right"

You clearly havent used tyvek 1443r. It is plenty water proof. especially if just being used as a ground cloth.

"1.5 oz for polycryo, 5.5 for tyvek regular housewrap, you're right, not quite 4x heavier, only 3.6x?."

Tyvek 1443r would not weigh 5.5 If it did you would have 13.2 square feet. So is that the size you are comparing? Again tyvek 1443r weighs 1.25 oz per sq/yd

I think if we are going to compare something we should be more specific. Apparently this thread is only referring to "Homewrap tyvek" not tyvek as a whole.

Lol I dont even use a ground sheet so mine is lighter than your polycro.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I haven't used it in many years. It is shrink wrap/polycro for me. You would think it would be fragile but that isn't the case at all, it has some flex and is hard to puncture. Painters plastic however, at least the thin and light stuff, is garbage. It does not last.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I stopped using ground cloths a few years ago.

Greg K
    BPL Member

@ziasdad

I noticed comments re how bulky and stiff Tyvek is.  I’ve used kite tyvek for a ground cloth for MLD Lunar Solo and thought it worked great.  I put it thru the washing machine at least once, maybe more–I forget now, and it now feels soft and flexible like fabric.  Folds like fabric too.  It folds and packs down much better than painter’s drop cloths.  It’s listed at 40 grams per square meter, which would be about 11 square feet.  So a 30 inch by 80 inch piece would weigh 2.16 ounces.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I had some left over from construction project

I’ve been using it for car camping.  More to protect from sharp things than being waterproof.

I’ve been using a 2.5 foot square piece under my head end.  I don’t know if that’s a long term thing.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Nope.

Polycro (window shrink plastic) is lighter and in my testing more durable all around.

Mike C
    BPL Member

@mikeclow

Locale: Rockies

I used Tyvek on the CDT for the desert in New Mexico. It provided good protection from the stickers, which are EVERYWHERE. Also, I very much appreciate the stiffness of Tyvek for an on-the-snow winter groundsheet. Otherwise, I generally use polycro.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Polycryo…not polycro

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I don’t typically use a groundsheet with a floored shelter or a tarp+bivy. But when it is muddy and wet it is very nice to have a sheet of 0.7mil polycryo to keep the majority of the glop off the floor.

I got the idea from jimmyb to carry a piece of tyvek housewrap about 2’x3′ to use occasionally as a door mat, a place to put things while futzing around with small bits so they don’t get lost in the grass or duff, for sitting on a wet log or rock, and sometimes for augmenting the wind block for my stove. A lot of functionality for a ~20g item.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Polycryo…got it…thanks John S.  Even spelled wrong it works better  :)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Is “outdoor window wrap” any tougher than polycro or is it the same product?

I’ve been using 3 mil painter’s cloth for years.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Same stuff.

There’s 0.75 mil and 1.5 mil (usually designated as “patio door” size)

When I’ve used it I’ve found the 0.75 mil totally adequate. I don’t have the exact figure, but IIRC a 40″ x 80″ sheet weighs about 1.6 oz.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools