Topic

river knife?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting river knife?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I'm loath to consider adding another hunk of steel to my pack weight, but I'm wondering how many folks include a river knife as part of their packrafting kit. I've never carried one before, but I've also never done the majority of my boating alone before and the necessity of self-rescue competence is heavy on my mind. I've been practicing other skills and gradually getting back into more challenging water. If I were to incorporate knife use into my skillset, now would be the time.

Thoughts?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Don't know exactly what you mean, but kershaw makes the amphibian and benchmade makes a dive knife. Both are fairly light, can be blunt tipped, and have the strap cutter.

Also for less weight the spyderco salt series: folders but light and in a few sizes.

I have the benchmade. Its not heavy.

Did you just want reccomendations of like a skill?
    Reccomendations i have, skills?… Eh, ya know. ;)

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

>>Don't know exactly what you mean

Just if you carry one and if you've ever found cause to use it. I have a small dive knife I could move from my BCD to my PFD, or I was looking at the CRKT Bear Claw.

D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

Not a packrafter, but I do kayak. I always have a knife attached to my PFD. I've used Benchmade,Gerber and a couple different Scuba Max BC knives in the past. I've been looking at the Boker CK1 as a new addition. Never had to use it, but my biggest fear is entanglement in submerged fishing line.

. Callahan
    BPL Member

@aeronautical

Locale: London, UK.

I primarily carry a Gerber River Shorty on my vest and a Gerber E-Z Out Rescue in a vest pocket.

Both are accessible by either hand.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

FWIW: I've had a river knife strapped to my PFD for 25 years, on hundreds of full-sized raft trips mostly Class III, some IV and V, and a half-dozen or so serious on-river incidents.

Never ever used it.

And I'll always take it.

Barely visible in my avatar, right side of photo, above blue carabiners. I recently replaced that PFD, but kept the knife.

For packrafting, I'd take the lightest knife with at least a 2 inch blade, that I could strap to my body/PFD, and that I could remove quickly and use with one hand while being thrashed underwater. No folding knife would meet those criteria.

The good news is you could leave other knife-like objects home on those trips.

Solo vs group packrafting would not matter, a knife could save you or your buddies from deadly adventures with ropes, fishing lines, small branches, or pinned boats.

— Rex

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I carry a Bark River bravo necker.
    Have I had opportunity to use it? Sure. Opening packaging, food prep, cleaning fish. If I wasn't packrafting, I'd still carry it. I also have a small firestarter/survival kit banded to it in the event of separation from my pack.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I use a Spyderco Rescue in whitewater. On mellower floats I'll keep my normal folder or fixed blade handy instead.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Thanks for your insight, everyone. Looks like I'll be getting a knife. I now have a couple other possibilities to check out too.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

The rafting community has had endless arguments about the pros and cons of river knife features: single-edged vs double-edged, serrated vs straight, pointed tip vs blunt, secure attachment, color, and on and on.

The Boat People web site has a pretty good selection, and Lee (the owner) writes a pretty good description (not vendor-puffery) for each knife they carry:

http://theboatpeople.com/river/rescue-knives/

I'm a very occasional customer, and Lee is a nice guy. I'm sure if you contact him about knife weights, he'll respond.

— Rex

Zach Waller

@zach156

Just a knife to consider, i carry a "Spyderco Enuff H1" while on the water. Great little fixed blade and the H1 steel will not rust at all, even in salt water (nitrogen based). Its a sheeps foot design and serrated with a 2.5 inch blade length. They also make the enuff in other blade shapes but only in VG10 stainless (fine for freshwater but will rust in saltwater). Just another one to consider…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools