Topic

1.5 person, 3 season tent recommendation – TT rainbow?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 1.5 person, 3 season tent recommendation – TT rainbow?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

Hi,
    I'm looking for an affordable shelter to share with my dog (I'm a medium woman, she's a largish mutt). From the specs, the Tarptent Rainbow looks pretty good, but I haven't seen one in person. At least one person here didn't think it was roomy enough to share. Would appreciate thoughts on it or alternatives. Some features I'd prefer:

-fully enclosed
    -enough clearance to sit upright
    -doesn't require two trekking poles
    -wide enough for dog to curl up next to me
    -vestibule (not strictly required, but would be nice for drying dog if it's raining)
    -weighs no more than 2lbs, 9 oz (current shelter)

I expect to mostly use it in NF/Wilderness areas within a few hours of San Francisco: Emigrant, Ventana, Trinity Alps…. avoiding severe weather as much as possible.

Thanks much for your collective wisdom!

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I have a Rainbow that is the go-to shelter for my wife and me. We both fit in it quite nicely, so I have no doubt that you could easily get a dog inside, so long as she isn't too large. Our 40 lb. Aussie would fit in with lots of room to spare alongside another person.

The Rainbow is a great tent, and I really enjoy it.

The only thing to consider from my perspective would be your dog's claws messing up the tent floor.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

The TT Rainbow is a nice tent. It fits me and my 60lb dog fine. It has LOTS of headroom and is very easy to sit up in and move around.

I just started using a SMD Lunar Solo. It has good floorspace for my dog and I but the headroom is a little less than in the Rainbow. It sets up with just 1 trekking pole and only weighs 23 oz (without stakes). I recently used it on a very windy ridge line at 9000 ft and it did fine. So far, it's proving to be a good shelter and a much lighter option than the Rainbow.

30D silnylon floors and dog claws have not been an issue for me so far.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

My wife and I also share a TT Rainbow. You'll be fine with a dog. If you want to see one in person I'm nearby (Berkeley Hills).

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I agree with the others Sharon. You two will be fine in there. Great little tent.

Harald Hope
    Spectator

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

agree re rainbow, I like it, honestly, I feel like it's huge when I'm inside it, excellent headroom, hard to even consider it an ultralight tent it's so big inside. If you order a new one make sure to get a middle/center back wall guyline connector, I believe Henry will add that if you ask him to, it's worth it, in heavy winds if you are camped with the wall facing the winds, it can use a bit of support on that big panel.

But this tent is very large. I share others concerns with dog claws on a thin silnylon floor but that would be the same in any of these shelters that have floors so that's not related to rainbow specifically. A 1/8 pad might be useful to avoid issues, that's only about 4oz, and you can make the dog carry it.

I don't think I'd want to be in this tent in real rain with two people though, unless you both can squeeze together onto the 36" or whatever floor width it has.

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

Appreciate all the input, and the offer from Casey (will send you a PM shortly). Since we live in town, Allie gets her nails worn down pretty well on the sidewalks. Then again, I have some Tyvek housewrap that's not being otherwise used.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I had a TTContrail and it was easily large (wide)enough to accomodate you and your dog.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

We've never seen dog claw damage to floors (in over 10 years and many, many thousands of tents shipped). It's just not a concern.

-H

Thomas Baker
    BPL Member

@shake_n_bake

Locale: WY

I use the Rainbow. I am 6' 4" 250 lbs and my dog is 100 lbs. We fit very well. As long as your combination is not any larger than that I cannot see any problems for you.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools