Topic

Source for good quality mini biners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Source for good quality mini biners

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

I need some good quality mini carabiners for several uses. I've gotten them from several places in the past, but it's very hard to find really good ones. Lawson says he's out and probably not getting any more. Anybody know where to get these?

Peter Griffith
    BPL Member

@litesmith

Locale: Litesmith.com

Zpacks
    Ultralight Designs

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Arrowhead Equipment and Jacks R Better also have them for about $4/pair.

Adam

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

If you don't need a carabiner specifically the nite-ize biners hold far more than their rated weighting and are really high quality (along with easy to find). I think MLD, before switching to the superfly biner, said the #1 size could hold 50lbs and showed no signs of wear (aka deformation) under this load.

Otherwise the sources above will fit the bill.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Maybe I'm just unlucky but I used a small Nite-ize biner for a few months as a keychain and I lost count of how many times I pulled it out of my pocket and a key ring or Photon light had somehow slipped out and was still in my pocket. Maybe the larger ones have stronger gates but I've switched to the mini-biners from Lawson and haven't have anything mysteriously detach. FWIW, MLD claims the mini-biners have a breaking strength of 150 lbs.

Adam

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Adam, that's probably the usage scenario. Keys in pockets get jangled around a lot and contorted into all sorts of weird shapes that could easily open any spring closure. The Nite-ize probably isn't well suited to this task (weak spring mechanism and a shape that lends itself to being hooked in a way that pressures the gate). A standard carabiner shape is definitely better suited since it's harder for the keyrings to put direct pressure on a gate.

Good to know though should I ever update my key system.

Chris Pund
    Spectator

@chrispund

Dean,

Just checked out what Lawson was selling, look pretty close to the same as these mini wire gate biners that I sell. Slight difference in the weight/size specs, but pretty close.

http://www.thegearhouse.com/Ultralight-Backpacking/Mini-Wiregate-Carabiners.html

Sold individually or in a 10 pack.

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

"Maybe I'm just unlucky but I used a small Nite-ize biner for a few months as a keychain and I lost count of how many times I pulled it out of my pocket and a key ring or Photon light had somehow slipped out and was still in my pocket."

Same problem here, it is not a design that works well in pockets or purses.

robert mckay
    Spectator

@rahstin

Locale: The Great Land

Instead of using a mini with a gate, try a mini with a screw together mechanism. Worked my whole pct hike keeping my phone/knife attached to me. Still use the same one on my phone so if I leave it in my lap and get out of te truck, it doesn't slam the ground. Still use te same z line too:)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools