Topic

Best way for me to use my dehydrator?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Best way for me to use my dehydrator?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Rocco Speranza
    BPL Member

@mechrock

Locale: Western NC Mtns

I just got this dehydrator.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FFVJ3C/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've looked through the forum and saw a couple ways on re-hydrating the food.
    Personally for me, I don't like cleaning up mess and would like to avoid it, but if the system is more efficient (less fuel used, less trash, etc…) I will consider it.

(1.) I've seen that you can add the dehydrated food to the cold water then let it slowly boil(or maybe it was to warm) then take it off and put the pot in a cozy.

(2.) I've seen you can add boiling water to a bag with the dehydrated food in it like a mountain house meal.

My stove now is a Jetboil Sol, but I have a Whitebox stove, just with out a light weight pot to use it with. Also thinking of getting the Ti-Tri Sidewinder with Evernew 1.3L pot this summer, but not sure.

What do you think is my best option? Does one cook the food better?
    Any suggestions?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Rocco, all dehydrated foods are different, and some require different rehydration techniques. For some, you can just cold-soak the food, and one hour later it is good. For others, you cover boiling water over the food, and five minutes later it is good. For others, you simmer the food for a while, then let it stand perhaps in a cozy.

You really want to experiment with different techniques to find which ones work best with which food.

–B.G.–

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I focus on bringing meals that I can add boiling water to the bag and wait. This allows me to just boil water in the pot. The only exception is pasta which I will cook in the pot as I perfer pasta over raman noodles.

As for waste I don't see it as any additional waste to pack out. Even if I used a pot to cook in every night I would still need to have an individual bag to contain each meal unless I was eating the same thing every night.

My total waste is one ziplock bag per meal plus a few bags for spices and maybe one for pasta if I have pasta meals. I find that if I am dilligent in prepping the individual bags for meals I have less waste then when I am in a rush and just toss each individual component in its own container.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I use the "Add boiling water and wait" method. Just remember: keep everything uniform in size when dehydrating and realize that meat and certain veggies can take longer to rehydrated than thinner veggies and pasta. Play with it and you'll have fun!

Rocco Speranza
    BPL Member

@mechrock

For those who use the add boiling water method, what kind of bag do you use? A standard zip lock back? Wouldn't that melt and if not, is it safe?

Heather Hohnholz
    BPL Member

@hawke

Do a search on the forum for Freezer Bag Cooking (FBC), and you'll come up with a ton of results.

In short, no, don't use a regular ziplock bag. Use a freezer ziplock bag. They work fine, and are quite safe.

Rocco Speranza
    BPL Member

@mechrock

Ok cool, thanks for the help!

Tom Keefe
    BPL Member

@keth0601

You also might want to consider getting a vacuum sealer. The bags hold up just fine to boiling water and your food will take up less space. This also buys you a little extra "shelf life" at home for your dehydrated foods.

Paul Ashton

@pda123

Locale: Eastern Mass

Good primer and recipes here:
    http://www.trailcooking.com/

Here's another
    http://www.hungryhammockhanger.com/

He also has a really good Youtube channel

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Or here .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools