Topic

CCF pads

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) CCF pads

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

My Xlite got a hole on a recent desert trip, leaving me lying on the cold, hard ground (OK, sand actually isn't that hard). Lots of sharp things in the desert, and not a lot of water to submerge the pad and find the leak. So, I'm thinking of going back to a CCF pad. My concerns in order of importance are:
    1. Comfort
    2. Weight
    3. Warmth
    I notice that the RidgeRest Zlite Sol and the RR Solar are both 2cm thick, both aluminized, yet the Zlite Sol weighs substantially less for the same size, and also has a signficantly lower R value. Any thoughts on these 2 pads, or another pad? I would cut anything I get down to the size of the Xlite. I LOVE the comfort of the Xlite, but it sure can become uncomfortable in a hurry. I don't think I care if the pad is z-fold or not. Data are here:
    http://media.cascadedesigns.com/pdf/Mattress_Comparison_Chart2013.pdf

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I just got some xlites but they are relegated to pine duff trips or out of state for specifically this reason.

I use a RR Solite (the lighter version of the regular Sol, right in between the two ) and have been happy with it down to freezing. Even as a burrito frame for a UL pack, it takes up a lot of space unless you attach the roll outside to the top or bottom of the pack.

Not as thick at only 1.5 cm but I've not had much problem with it even as a side sleeper, ymmv.

Still I love it because I just roll it out and it doubles as a groundcloth for me.

I've heard the Z-Lites aren't quite as durable and flatten out faster than the Ridgerests but don't have direct knowledge either way.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

So you put comfort at the top and warmth at the bottom? How comfortable are you when you are cold?

I have both and like the Z lite better.

James Cahill
    BPL Member

@dmatb

Locale: Norf Carl

I've been using the zlite sol for a while now, and for the most part I've been happy but nevertheless I'm thinking of switching to something different. The convoluted zlite really isn't that thick, and I've woken up with sore hips after nights on fairly hard ground. But I also slept on it for two weeks in my apartment before I bought a bed, and had no problems then. I've been meaning to get a 1/2" EVA pad from Lawson or Prolite and cut it to torso length to replace my zlite.

I haven't used a ridgerest, but I've heard it is a little more comfortable than the zlite

Bogs and Bergs

@islandized

Locale: Newfoundland

+1 for Ridgerest SOLite, the compressibility of the little ridges makes it unlike any other CCF I've slept on, much more cushy than the egg-crate foam.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

Honestly the difference in comfort between the two(to me) is completely negligible. The main difference that I found was the way they pack up one rolls and the other folds. I find the folding much easier for me.

And I have tried to use the ridge rest as a burrito pack frame also but like the OP said it takes up alot of space. More than I would have thought.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Well, yes. CCF pads are pretty good.

Some of my worst nights were spent sleeping on bare ground during a thru-hike when my old neo-air decided it was going to balloon. It became little more than a ground cloth for about a week when I could not inflate it enough support me. At least with the older pro-lite I had something…unfortunatly, not true with the NeoAir. I well understand the problem.

One of the best pads I have used is the old GG NightLight 3/4. There were no seams pressed into it. With an electric knife, it was very easy to slice this into 11 inch sections, nesting the "bumps." This keeps the 5 layer thickness down to about 2.5", even though it is a bit larger than 3/4" thick. This fit exactly into a GG pack's pad pocket, making an excelent 30pound pack frame without taking up internal volume and without having stuff tied onto the pack, usually exceeding the pack width. Taping things back together gives a pad about 55-57"x19.5".

CCF pads are ultra-reliable, and ultra durable. They are simple to set up and take down. Waterproof, fairly comfortable (provided you are on duff or sand) and they do not go flat…no repair kit needed. They will typically last a couple years. Support??? Ha…for what? A bit of tape and they still work. They do NOT work well on hard ground, rocks, lean-too floors, though. The pack and pad combination I use weighs about 19oz. The pad doubles as a sit pad and extra insulation under my rain jacket.

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

When I'm not sure what the ground conditions are going to be like, I bring along one of Lawson's 1/8" CCF pads (http://lawsonequipment.com/InsuLite-Foam-Pads/InsuLite-1-8-Foam-Pad-p950.html). They're cheap ($13), light (4.2oz before trimming), and take up a whole lot less space rolled up than a 1/2" pad.

I just roll the Xlite up inside the ccf pad, and the whole skinny roll easily fits in my pack. Another option is to keep the 1/8" pad accessible and use it as a sit pad for lunch breaks. Either way it seems to work great, and I haven't had any punctures on rough ground or around prickly things.

Even if I got a puncture I could fold up the 1/8" pad and still have decent torso insulation. For summer an extra pad seems like overkill, but in shoulder seasons the extra peace of mind is nice.

-David

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools