Topic

Pre-trip meal planning

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Pre-trip meal planning

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Fish

@danielfishfamilypdx-com

Locale: PDX

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Why are you bringing the oil? Is it to add flavour or is it just to add calories. If it is just to add calories I would leave it behind because on a 1 night trip if you end up in a negative calorie balance it doesn't really matter.

If you wanted to replace the calories I would add some whole nuts. Peanuts, almonds, cashews are all over 6 calories per gram and usually can be found unsalted. Although if it his hot out salted nuts might be better.

Also for the tuna if you get it packed in oil its calories per ounce go way up.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Tuna packed in virgin olive oil is phenomenal – and it comes in pop top cans as well. You can find some pouched olive oil tun a as well, canned tastes better though IMO.

Use the oil in the can – it is really, really good.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

There is nothing wrong with planning. Heck I do it for day hiking even!! :-D

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

It is great, especially if paired with fresh shredded cabbage (you know those bags of "coleslaw mix" sold?) in a tortilla…maybe some ranch or similar…tasty!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Yep! The bagged spinach is fine to carry. I have carried a lot of greens with me, sealed :-) Tasty indeed!

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools