Topic

The way to leave your headlamp band at home

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The way to leave your headlamp band at home

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Hi,

I was trying several options to replace headlamp band with something I carry anyway.
    So at the end I found the best way it work for me: my hiking/running baseball cap (it's a Nike dri-fit cap). All baseball caps has a closure on the back. Mine is Velcro closure. So it turns a natural headlamp band!

Zebralight headlamps would be even better because you can leave lamp housing on your cap and just insert the lamp itself when you need it. Petzl headlamps are somewhat heavy and wearing cap with the light on back of the cap is uncomfortable.

Tested my method in night running and hiking. Conclusion: it's perfect.
    Don't know if others use their caps as a headlamp bands as well, so thought maybe it's worth sharing.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Mike C sewed a petzl e-lite to a beanie but I think this is the first time I've heard of your solution.

I really like it!. The only downside would be if you are night hiking in the rain, then the bill of your hat would be cumbersome in your rain hood and you'd lose it's water deflecting benefits…then again if you're hiking in the rain at night your day as all ready probably gone to the crapper.

Still this is very much something I'll try to duplicate if any of my caps prove comfortable!

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I put my headlamp on the back strap of my Headsweats Supervisor. I do a fair amount of early morning and late evening night hiking and I can just reverse the visor and go without stopping. The only negative is if you are in very windy weather. I had my visor blow off and the mounting tab on the headlamp hit a rock and broke. But shortly after that happened I took off the headlamp and the visor blew off again, never to be found. I guess there is a negative to UL gear, it flies.

Maciej Parvi

@maciekp

Get a Petzl Xipka plus 2. No band.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ooooh, that's a good idea! I'm going to try this next time I'm out!

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

In rain:

Tried it today. Surprisingly it was raining here in Upper Galilee today which is uncommon for our climate. The cap with the headlamp worked fine. The catch is that when you put your cap on with visor reversed it points down almost parallel to your neck. Try it yourself and you will see. You can wear a jacket with hood.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

The Zipkas are the best, lighter than the rest.

Maciej Parvi

@maciekp

60g only if l91 lithium AAA are used

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Other headlamps will get you into the 50-55 gram range, and that is with single AA.

–B.G.–

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Guys I'm talking about how to wear headlamp. Not about headlamps.
    Just mentioned that zebralight is more suited for carrying it on the cap like I've mentioned.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

well , they are tied together somewhat
    You are trying to save weight, there are other options

Many like the fenix LD01, just clip on hat bill
    Some like photons with hat clip, or velcro dot to velcro to cap bill
    some will take light elastic and make a UL headstrap for another headlamp
    some just clip zebralights to belt or pack strap

it all depends on what you use it for, and how much you need
    Unless night hiking, a headlamp is overkill for me. A little photon is all I need.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Is removing headlamp band "stupid light"

Weighs 0.4 ounce maybe.

I tried Photon Freedom which weighs 0.4 ounce including a little clip that lets you clip it to your hat or whatever which works as a headlamp. It seems not bright enough to me, so I just use it as a backup and use a 3 ounce LED headlamp. This at least allows me to not take any spare batteries.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

"Is removing headlamp band "stupid light""

I guess that depends on how much night hiking you do. I do a good bit and there has been no negative to this at all. In fact, the simplicity of it makes perfect sense….if you use a visor that works with it.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

All these options are reasonable, but putting headlamp on a closure band is a simplest and natural way that the headlamp is designed for. In case you want to use your headlamp and not switching to photon light or fenix just for making it possible to clip it to your hat. BTW, try night trail running with that fenix on your hat. It will bounce like a fat ass… photon light is awesome but not for all. And the velcro is just another piece of gear to fail.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools