Topic

Frankenstein Cookkit Returns: New Lid, New Windscreen, More Better Testing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Frankenstein Cookkit Returns: New Lid, New Windscreen, More Better Testing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Fish

@danielfishfamilypdx-com

Locale: PDX

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

good experiment, looking forward to results

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

After 2 trials for each of 2 cases you start getting idea whether the difference between the 2 cases is greater than the trial to trial variation. If there's no difference you might want to re-think your 2 cases. If there's a large difference you may decide you've done enough trials to be statistically significant.

If it takes 12 trials of each to be statistically significant, then there isn't enough difference between the 2 cases to be important.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

How tall and narrow do you want to go?

I think, like your short wide pot, this has already been achieved by the caldera GVP(foster's pot). My kit weighs less than 3oz and boils 16oz using less than one tab, so I think it safe to assume I could get 20oz on one tab.

Seems like you are going through a lot of trouble to find a system that will end up being heavier than what is currently available.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Haha, bummer about them being out of stock.

Glad you are still continuing with the testing, as it is interesting.

For what it's worth, if you ever do decide to check out the GVP, here is a thread I created about my rig. It's much lighter than the stock offering, but if you want to boil 20oz. at once, I would keep the full length fosters instead of doing what I did.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?bo=watch&forum_thread_id=61204

P.S. In that thread, two other people posted kits that might interest you as well.

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

Daniel, you might try duplicating my Ruta Locura setup:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=75650

It boiled three cups of water using a 1/2oz esbit tab with fuel left over. I could send you a copy of the paper pattern if you would like.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

How hot did the water get in the never boiled cases?

What are the units of time to boil, seconds?

Why did trial 6 take shorter time, but burned 2 more g of fuel, seems like that would take longer?

The two Ti wing cases were consistent, that's good

Ti wing 12 g of fuel, the other 2 required 14 g, seems like maybe it works good

In the other 2 cases, as the last 2 g of fuel burned, it must burn very slowly and maybe the pot of water looses heat as fast as it gains it, so maybe the fact that it took 2 more g of fuel isn't that significant?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools