Topic

Montbell Breeze Dry-Tec

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Montbell Breeze Dry-Tec

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

Anyone out there able to speak to the performance of Montbell's proprietary "air-permeable waterproof fabric" used in their Rain Trekker Jacket and Pants?

http://www.montbell.us/products/techinfo/techsys/material/material09.html

They describe it as three-layer; I'm wondering specifically how this compares to eVent and Neoshell in terms of durability and comfort. Could this be a budget contender for those not keen to take the plunge on a $200-$400 shell from Rab, Montane, Westcomb, etc?

I realize it's quite a bit over the 8-oz mark, but as a 3-layer shell for $130, it seems like it could be a great alternative to proprietary 2.5-layer shell fabrics in the same price range (Precip, Hyvent, H2No, etc). Experiences?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Kate,

I used it in a bivy and it was definitley not as breatable as event.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I found Breeze Dry-Tec to be not as good as eVENT, in the same league as PacLite, and better than most of the other PU based fabrics. Of course, none of them compare to non waterproof / non-membrane materials when it comes to breathability and air permeability.

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

Yeah, considering the price range and the specs MB lists for Breeze Dry Tec, I wouldn't have expected it to perform as well as eVent in terms of breathability.

I've had GTX Paclite garments in the past and was impressed with their durability compared to most 2.5 layer WPB fabrics, which in my experience begin to delaminate after a year +/- of mixed usage. Not the most breathable by any means, but for most applications I find that's not a make-or-break issue. For me, relative durability is, and it seems like–in general–3 layer fabrics are the way to go for that.

Rain shells are by no means an ideal piece of ultralight backpacking kit; I recognize that in many scenarios a windshirt works better for huge weight savings, and in other situations a poncho performs better than a jacket. However, I keep burning through rain shells because I use them a lot in everyday life, and since I always have one it usually ends up in my backpack on long trips.

It's a shame Montbell doesn't have more brick-and-mortar retailers in my neck of the woods. I have trouble buying gear without being able to get a feel for it in real life first.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Mark and Stephen correctly evaluated and positioned the relative breathability of MP PU coatings such as MB's. In my lab tests they averaged only .17 CFM versus eVent which tested in the range of .35 to .53 CFM depending on the face fabric.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Rick,

I did notice a big difference between Breeze Tec and Event.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Rick,

I was comparing bivys which are just fabric and a few seams, it is indeed different with jackets.

You are right about the cheap option for summer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools