Topic

Knots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

Also if you know how to clove, youll remember very easily how to munter … Which is a critical skill on multipitch

Yep, when tied on a carabiner the similarities are very obvious.

For a clove hitch around anything larger in diameter I'd agree with Richard and wouldn't trust it. But after mulling the question over I thought I'd grab some rope and arrange some scenarios. (Safety Disclaimer: I don't climb much, don't trust a word of this post, etc., etc.)

1. A standard clove hitch on a locked carabiner:
    clove hitch

2. Here I deliberately loosened and arranged a clove hitch on a non-locking carabiner (yes, a sharp tug did exactly what you'd expect):
    doomed clove hitch

3. Finally, a clove hitch tied around a larger diameter object (in contrast to the first image):
    clove hitch that can slip

Additional refs:
    http://www.geir.com/mythbuster.html (item 4)
    http://www.lightandmatter.com/article/knots.html

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I am so glad I learned how to properly tie my shoes at the early age of 62. I wonder how I made it through all these years and am alive to talk about it :)"

Velcro?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Can't people do a classic over-the-shoulder abseil any more?"

They could, if they had been trained. That was one thing that I demonstrated and taught in the summer of 1971. Unfortunately, it does a number on your clothing. All sorts of strange wear patterns show up in strange places.

–B.G.–

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools