Topic

Cuben groundsheet for Hexamid Twin

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Cuben groundsheet for Hexamid Twin

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Nate Boyer
    BPL Member

@nateb123

I'm not used to carrying a groundsheet. This thing is 5-6 ounces and I'd like to find another use for it. Rain skirt? How would I rig that?

Anybody have any other ideas?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

If you haven't bought it yet, just go for the groundsheet/poncho.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

the twin groundsheet is 4.3 oz
    And without a groundsheet of some type you will by lying in the mud if it has rained
    The lightest you can do for a groundsheet would be about 1.5 oz polycryo or space blanket
    So your delta is 2.8oz for the cuben groundsheet
    It is more durable than those other choices
    It provides kind of a bathtub floor to keep you dry
    The sides help to block some rain splatter

The solo plus groundsheet can be had as a poncho-groundsheet, but weighs slightly more.

Nate Boyer
    BPL Member

@nateb123

I understand the benefits of a groundsheet. With this tent, it's required (mesh floor).
    I own the cuben groundsheet….
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas for other uses than just a groundsheet. I wish I could use it as a poncho.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You could if you're willing to modify it. You don't have to sew, just use tape. Makes it easier for a lot of folks.

Jason Mahler
    BPL Member

@jrmahler

Locale: Michigan

It seems like you could tape some loops in areas and use your bear bag rope to make a rain skirt or poncho without cutting it. You may also be able to use it as a tarp for mid day stops in the rain. I do this with Polycro, but it isn't super durable.

John Hillyer
    BPL Member

@trnamelucky

I use it for:

-Putting under my inflatable mattress if I sleep in a shelter.
    -Wearing in a laundry-mat when washing my clothes.

I have thought of using it to:

-collect rainwater for drinking.

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

I like the idea of trying to use it as a rain kilt. I guess it might be too large for that, though. Thoughts?

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

" I understand the benefits of a groundsheet. With this tent, it's required (mesh floor).
    I own the cuben groundsheet….
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas for other uses than just a groundsheet. "

if you're trying to save a little weight, then cut out that silly mesh floor and sew in your cuben ground sheet permanently as a floor.

I never heard of a mesh floor, absolutely silly, probably exists so the manufacturer can simultaneously claim light weight and floor in the marketing, but again totally silly, either have a floor or don't have a floor.

Nate Boyer
    BPL Member

@nateb123

"I never heard of a mesh floor, absolutely silly, probably exists so the manufacturer can simultaneously claim light weight and floor in the marketing, but again totally silly, either have a floor or don't have a floor."

lol!

David Ure

@familyguy

I still don't understand that one either.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I've had both Hexamids – all mesh and sewn in floor. I much prefer the all mesh. Rather than a marketing gimmick, I've always seen it as a compromise, that works for some people (like me), between a tarp and a fully enclosed tent/shelter. It's a bit more than a tarp/mid with netting sewn around the edges to droop to the ground, and a bit less than a shelter with a bathtub floor.

As far as another use for the cuben groundsheet – you can use it as a pack liner to keep the contents of your pack dry. If not using as a liner, in a pinch you could use it as a quick, makeshift tarp for a lunch break on a rainy day.

John Hillyer
    BPL Member

@trnamelucky

FYI-ZPacks sells a combo groundcloth/poncho.

John Hillyer
    BPL Member

@trnamelucky

You need to fold the Hexamid Twin groundsheet twice to get it down to rain kilt size. That makes 4 layers of 1 oz cuben: would think it would be too hot and to much of a pain to use.

John Hillyer
    BPL Member

@trnamelucky

I find it nice to be able to remove the groundsheet from the tent. It allows you to use the groundsheet when you are cowboy camping and to put it under an inflatable mattress pad in a shelter. Also storing the tent and the groundsheet separately would make storage more compact: I don't usually take the time to separate them but you could. If none of the above applies to you, having it sewed in would save a few grams…about 30 grams would be my guess (weight savings of .7 oz per square yard for the size of the bottom of the groundsheet minus the weight of the thread and seam sealing tape).

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

I like having the cubin groundsheet sewin in for the convenience and to keep the remaining mesh clean and free of dirt & debris You give up some of the versatility of not being seperate but not much. If cowboy sleeping or in a shelter, I just sleep on top of the entire folded tent to stay off the ground/shelter floor.

Nate Boyer
    BPL Member

@nateb123

Did you have zpacks sew it in?
    So… you don't have the mesh on the bottom anymore?

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Use it as a pack cover, and get rid of your pack liner(or cover)?

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

"I still don't understand that one either."

Its not that hard to understand or figure out – *full* enclosure keeps out mosquitoes and ticks and other potentially problematic insects (tic protection is very important in certain places like Ventanna wilderness where I go a lot). Condensation will roll down the tarp then drip *through* screen at the edges, so will almost never will be a real issue almost no matter what. IMHO, based on my experiences with both issues a smart and novel solution. Best of both worlds. Not the only one, but very creative. Plus you can choose your groundsheet depending on the conditions you expect, or if you will be sharing the shelter with someone. Or you can just do cowboy camping when condition are right using the *removable* groundsheet. About as good as it gets in a single shelter. That kind of flexibility is worth the extra couple of oz to me. I love mine.

My twin ground sheet is 4.2 oz not 5-6 oz.

Also FYI, the screen isn't really lighter than the cuben, so that was never the point.

The zpacks ground sheets have loops in them already, so even without the rain poncho version you could probably rig up something creative as far as rain protection or pack cover if that sort of thing floats your boat. Sun awning for afternoon stop..and so on.

Joe has done a triple crown, and some other long distance stuff, so I'm guessing he may have learned a thing or two about what works, so may not be the smartest decision to dismiss the idea off hand just because it seems different on first blush. A lot of people who have actually *used* the design appreciate it quite a bit. They don't have such big following and a long waiting list for nothing.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

The mesh works remarkably well at protecting a UL groundsheet as well, its fairly tough.

If use a CCF pad, dont even need another groundsheet unless it rains

Some complain it picks up stuff when wet, but the ground under my hex is dry after rain. The mesh around the edges are covered with wet stuff from rain splatter near the ground. That can get a bit messy, no more than the sides of a tent though. Of course, no sides at all = clean.

I have considered cutting the bottom center out of mine, and putting a drawcord around the perimeter of the cutout to draw it in snugly. Might save 1.5oz, and keep most of the benefit of the netting, unless pitch on top of an ant pile.

Chase Fairly

@chasefairly

Locale: Texas

I had this same issue and instead of building a rain skirt with a belt system (which would have added weight) I use my groundsheet as a rain skirt. works perfectly. My lower body stays dry. I just fasten it with my hipbelt on my pack. If I'm not using a hip belt than I use the elastic band that is at the bottom of my rain jacket to keep it up.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools