Topic

MYO Chouinard Expedition Sewing Kit, 0.9 oz and under $10

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYO Chouinard Expedition Sewing Kit, 0.9 oz and under $10

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Locale: Orlando FL

No problem, but actually I would like to find an aluminum pin vise for my kit to save weight……. will have to check the RC hobby store here.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

What about an aluminum rod instead of the pin? Piece of titanium tent stake?

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Locale: Orlando FL

Excellent idea

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

What is the cotter pin for? I don't know why I'd need that for sewing. Sorry for being so clueless on the subject.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

The cotter pin is to provide something to spread the load in the hand, when using the pin vice to hold a sturdy needle when sewing tough materials such as leather, as you might have to for repairs.

The whole pin vice thing is a solution, but it's not the only one. I'm sure traditional leather workers didn't, and don't use a pin vice; an awl of some sort is used. The pin vice and cotter pin provides the same function as an awl, in a lightweight form, using things that a tinkerer might find lying around in a workshop… To then take these things and make them from aircraft-grade aluminium, and cadmium-plated steel isn't really great product design or engineering, as it's not really addressing the actual design problem, just replaing the tinkerer's solution with over-engineered versions of what was lying about…

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Nick, can you post the dimensions of the case of the original kit? Thx!

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Cotter pin also was in the original kit to help re-thread drawstrings that had slipped out of continuous fabric channels.

Examples: the drawstring around the top of a sleeping bag, stuff sack, or some packs.

You pull some of the drawstring through the head of the cotter pin, then inchworm the cotter pin around the channel.

Needed more often back in the days when we tied knots in drawstrings, instead of carrying those heavy cord locks. Sometimes your knot would slip while tugging on the string – and suddenly you have a handful of string and no easy way to close the opening.

So the cotter pin fills two functions – multi-use! Replacing the cotter pin with a solid rod, loses the re-thread function.

— Rex

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

You could carry a bodkin or use a sailmakers needle for the threading purpose too.

Morgan Rucks
    BPL Member

@rucksmtr

The cotter pin is also a spare for replacing a lost one on an external frame pack.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"Nick, can you post the dimensions of the case of the original kit? Thx!"

John, I missed your post. I will try to sneak into the garage this weekend and locate it for measurements. I thought I was going backpacking this weekend, but she won't let me. I explain later.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Time to finished remodeling the inside Nick.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Thanks to the modern wonder of technology, yesterday at 5pm my computer, iPhone, and iPad all simultaneously reminded me that today is our anniversary — just in time, before I told her I was going backpacking :)

Also, a couple months ago it reminded me to buy gifts :)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I love this idea, and I went to my favorite tool supply (Hardwick's in Seattle) and got a pin vise with 3 different sized collets (the part that grabs inside) for $2.99 and a stainless steel cotter pin for $0.60. The pin vise came with a 2" long extension on the end which I cut off and smoothed the base. The cross hole was too small for a decent size cotter pin and I drilled it out to suit. I also smoothed the tip of the cotter pin so it wouldn't catch or scratch things. That's a standard sewing needle in the vise in the photo. Weight as shown in 0.55oz/15g. An aluminum vise would be great.

I have a "hotel freebie" sewing kit with needles, thread and spare buttons to add. I would add this to a small bag or box with duct tape, safety pins, a small roll of 26ga wire, light braided line, and a small tube of Super Glue. I'm going to look for some heavier sewing machine needles too.

Pin vise for sewing kit.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

"Nick, can you post the dimensions of the case of the original kit? Thx!"

Empty and flat it is 3 3/4" tall and 2 7/8" wide.

I scanned the instructions for the awl and also included a picture of the kit contents. I don't know if the instructions will be good enough to read in the post.

Unfortunately when I was taking everything out I dropped one of the "sewing machine" needles and it rolled under a bookcase. Now someone owes me a beer :)

Chouinard sewing instructions

Chouinard sewing kit contents

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I was having visions of Nick's wife at the back door to the garage with a can of bear spray in hand:)

FYI, if anyone wants those "hotel freebie" sewing kits, you can get them at http://www.minimus.biz/Easy-Mending-Kit-J01-0459902-8104.aspx as well as a ziliion other travel size goodies. They have lots of meds, first aid and food items. IIRC, they have free shipping if you spend $20, which isn't hard :)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

"I was having visions of Nick's wife at the back door to the garage with a can of bear spray in hand:)"

You don't want to mess with Mrs. G. She doesn't take guff from anyone and owns Mace and a handheld Taser. She isn't easily intimidated either; unless you are a rattlesnake or a lizard.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Mine's an RN. I could wake up looking very strange— or not at all. Makes you think!

Thanks for the info on the sewing kit. It's really a clever collection of tools. I need to get some of that McNett's tape.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Dale,

You were pretty creative with the awl by going to the hardware store. But as I said earlier, I carried this thing for years and never used anything in it — and too think they apparently are fetching big bucks in eBay. The world has gone nuts.

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools