Topic

eVent Fabric Differences?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) eVent Fabric Differences?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

Hey Guys/Gals…Is anyone familiar with eVent DVLite 2.5? It's a 2.5 layer version of eVent (obviously)…I assume it has a printed interior like most 2.5 PU jackets…???

Rab makes a model called the Viper that is reasonably light WITH pitzips…but…it utilizes this 2.5L instead of "traditional" 3L eVent.

Thoughts???

-Mark in St. Louis

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

Correct. It's a new eVent fabric which cuts down on weight by using a printed half-layer instead of a knit backer. This reduces weight and I imagine also reduces durability and next-to-skin comfort.

If you do a quick google for eVent DVL you'll find some market reports from 2012 such as: http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2012/07/26/rab-westcomb-event-dvl.html

Interesting that Rab puts pit zips on this one (none on the Westcomb model); eVent's marketing has always claimed pit zips unnecessary because the fabric is more breathable than PU laminates. Either Rab is just following the advice of focus groups/consumers who demand the zips, or perhaps this new iteration of eVent technology is somewhat less breathable…

If you snag one of these jackets, I'd love to hear your impressions!

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

i have a wild things event hard shell and it has pit zips. event breaths really well and pit zips do add weight, but there's been a couple of times where i would have cooked without the pit zips. that's one of the reasons i've switched for many if not most situations to an epic fabric hooded windshirt, which gives sufficent rain protection for most situations, breaths well and is more comfortable to wear than a hard shell.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Apparently Rab also has a 3L eVent shell with pitzips…17-18 oz. in sz. L.

The EB BC-200 is just picked up on the cheap is 10 oz. in sz. M, so I figure I might pick up the heavier 3L eVent for colder/wetter weather/seasons.

I think pitzips are preferred, and I wish the BC-200 had them.

-Mark

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

"i have a wild things event hard shell and it has pit zips."

Same here

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Looks like the Wild Things (Alpinist I assume) is about the same weight as a Rab Latok Alpine, Bergen, or Icefall…but…retails at $399!

The key for me now (I think) is finding something reasonably light (16-18oz.), 3L, pitzips, AND ~$150.

I think this will take patience and the right sale…or a good used find!

-Mark

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

i have the prior version of the current model which was made while they were going through their rebranding. the key thing is to get their stuff when on sale. i paid $175 for mine when it was one of the first event hard shells available. with their 35% off sale going on the shell should come in around $260. i've owned and worn a lot of outdoor clothing and their stuff (historically) hadn't made any compromises to satisfy the urban streetwear side of the market. it fit and functions really well and they had a sales girl in their retail store that really knew her stuff. And all their gear is manufactured in the usa. it will be intresting to see what directon the new wild things goes in. they screwed the pooch with their power stretch hoodie when they sourced the same zipper (too short for the hoodie) for their power stretch top. i've had their hooded insulight jacket for teh past season and it became my go-to jacket during the week and replaced my standard windshirt/power strech hoodie (not wild things) combination on a number of occasions when i new it wouldn't be so warm that i'd want to remove or roll up teh sleeves on my windshirt.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools