Topic

Sierra Suggestions: Late April thru early May.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Sierra Suggestions: Late April thru early May.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Howdy all;
    Looking for a trip suggestion for my son and I for the above mentioned time frame. I know the Sierra fairly well, but as a teacher, I'm never on vacation during this time period so I don't know the feasibility of a trip with my son right now. Not familiar with snow conditions/road closures this time of year. Normally I'd just get a map and go, but again, conditions are vague to me right now.

Can anyone suggest anything open right now that could make for a decent 5-10 mile/day 3 night trip? Areas to look at?
    (I'm thinking something along the lines of Thursday night at the trailhead, Fri/Sat on the trail, back at car Sunday. Some snow is fine, just not looking to do a full winter gear (snowshoes, etc.) trip with him right now if snowpack is still heavy.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Craig,

I posted this recently in another thread click here.

Pretty close to your house, probably a 4 or 5 hour drive.

Take the last road I describe 23 miles to Lloyd's Meadow. The trailhead is 3 miles to the Forks of the Kern and the Golden Trout Wilderness. Several hiking options from this point and pretty easy. I'm not up to date on fishing regulations, but it used to be season opened April 15th. Be pretty cool for your son to catch a golden. For road information call the Ranger Station in Kernville.

Lloyd's meadow
    Lloyd's Meadow

View of Kern from near top of trail

GTW sign
    Hiking down the trail

Forks of the Kern
    Confluence of the Little Kern and Kern River

Kern River

My bride
    My Bride

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools