Topic

Bulletproof Trail Coffee

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Bulletproof Trail Coffee

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

I have been looking at options to increase calorie density lately. Reading a friend's blogs about trekking in the Himalaya and drinking yak butter tea led me to "Bulletproof Coffee" after a web search. Last week I had it every day including three days in the Sierra.

Ingredients:
    1/2 oz Ghee (clarified butter) organic, grass fed.
    1/2 oz Coconut oil
    1 packet Starbucks Via Coffee
    8 oz boiling water

Stir and sip. Ghee and coconut oil are each 250 calories/ounce.

At home it's even better with espresso and using the steam wand to emulsify the fats. It is an acquired taste and texture but I like it.

Before the trip I softened the fats and stirred them together then packaged in a clamp-top plastic container. For spring conditions the hardest part was chipping out portions.

On Edit:
    Product websites- we ordered both from Amazon

Pureindianfoods Grassfed Organic Ghee

Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil

For summertime use it will be important to have a tightly sealed container to prevent leaks as the oils liquify and tend to be forced out due to pressure caused by temperature and altitude changes. For cool to cold weather it is important to be able to chip or cut chunks out of the container.

matt brisbin
    Spectator

@firestarter01

Locale: Bay Area

THIS is going on my next trip! Sounds great.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"For cool to cold weather it is important to be able to chip or cut chunks out of the container."

How about using individual 1 oz screw top containers, like those sold at REI? You could melt it by immersing it part way in the hot water, then pour it in along with the Via.

The recipe sounds real interesting, and tasty. Now you've got me thinking about how to do a mocha with it. :)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Now you've got me thinking about how to do a mocha with it. :)"

Pretty easy Tom, just use the packets of Cacao Bliss!

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

This sounds great. Thanks for the post.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Pretty easy Tom, just use the packets of Cacao Bliss!"

Terrific! You're a man of discriminating taste, Douglas.

Now if we could just find packets of organic ghee…..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools