Topic

Yet another sewing machine question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Yet another sewing machine question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I need some help finding my next sewing machine.
    I have been using a Janome Sewist 500 and it has been a great machine. Never a problem, including tension.
    I mainly sew very lightweight fabric. I do not need any embroidery. I would rather it not be all computerized, so simpler is better. I need it to be heavier than my current machine, as mine vibrates it's way across the table. I need it to be fast. I would like it to hem, like a serger, I guess.
    I would like it to be under 600 dollars new.
    Not interested in great old used machines, I have been burned too many times on a great Necchi , Juki and Bernina , only to discover later that there were issues.

Internet searches either take me to consumer reviews or sewing forums .
    Any seamster/ seamstress out there with some makes and models advice for me?
    Thanks.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Kat

A sewing machine is not a serger, and v/v. A serger is very limited in application.
    However, a sewing machine with a 3(4)-step zigzag does a good job covering edges to replace a serger. Far more versatile.

> I need it to be heavier than my current machine, as mine vibrates it's way across the table
    In that case you should be looking at older machines. The modern ones using light plastic injection mouldings are designed to be as light as possible so they can be carried around. Most customers don't use their machines much anyhow. A solid metal casting – ah, good stuff.

I wonder whether those older machines you tried just needed proper servicing? Very possible. But finding a competent service mechanic – that can be hard today.

Cheers

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools