Topic

Bears in Oregon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Bears in Oregon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Packman Pete
    BPL Member

@packmanpete

Locale: Rainy Portland

I know black bears live in Oregon, but should I be concerned? I'm planning a hike along the PCT in August, and am a little spooked at the idea. Should I bear bag, or are the bears even an issue? Any first hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I've done many nights around Three Sisters, Mt Jefferson, Mt Hood, Columbia Gorge.

I see bears occasionally, but they run away when they see humans. I think they're quite common but us humans don't see them very often.

I hang food from tree about half the time when possible, but a Sierra bear would make quick work of it

Other half of the time I hang it enough to keep rodents out of it, but within easy reach of bear.

Never had a bear get into my food. A few times a rodent has had a nice snack when I've been careless.

Daniel Fish

@danielfishfamilypdx-com

Locale: PDX

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

Daniel, I would think that your theory would hold up closer to popular trails and campsites where bears have an easier time finding unprotected human food. The further out you get from the campsites, the less your food odors would blend in with and be masked by other hikers and their food. A truly wild bear might not consider a solitary human to be much of a threat…. Of course, most hikers aren't dealing with truly wild bears.

Either way, they are fascinating creatures. Their sense of smell is amazing, and their ingenuity astounding.

Daniel Fish

@danielfishfamilypdx-com

Dirk R
    BPL Member

@dirk

Statistically speaking, the chances of being attacked by a bear are incredibly low – you are far more likely to be hit by lightning in the U.S. than attacked by a bear. That said, clearly hanging bear bags is better than sleeping with their food, which many thru hikers end up doing. Of the hundreds that pass through Oregon every year, I would venture far fewer than 1 in 5 hang their bags on a daily basis.

Clearly, this isn't considered best practices. And it does speak to the kind of foods thru-hikers pack – often its instant potatoes or pasta – stuff that does not have a huge scent factor unlike the better and richer foods favored by many weekend backpackers.

I think in Oregon, bears would be a greater nuisance in many of the established campgrounds rather than on the trail. The PCT does get a fair amount of traffic in Oregon with its proximity to civilization – between horses and people. I would not worry as much I would in other parts of the trail.

Have a great hike!

Dirk

Daniel Fish

@danielfishfamilypdx-com

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I've had my food next to me in a bag, but then rodents got in. At least they just spoiled a bit of food so it made no difference to trip.

If your Opsak results in no rodent damage, then that's a good system. When I hang my food, I usually do it right next to me so maybe I'de wake up and scare away any creature trying to get in.

If my lax food storage resulted in a bear getting in and then becoming accustomed to human food and had to be killed I would feel very bad.

Packman Pete
    BPL Member

@packmanpete

I read all the comments-thanks guys!

The last reply mentioned he uses something for food storage, but didn't say what it was. Maybe it is a link my iphone doesn't see? Could you please reiterate it for me?

Daniel Fish

@danielfishfamilypdx-com

Packman Pete
    BPL Member

@packmanpete

I've been to OMC several times. I like Next Adventure too-but thanks for the info. I just don't want to worry about bears. Or rodents. Leave my food alone!!

Daniel Fish

@danielfishfamilypdx-com

Daniel Fish

@danielfishfamilypdx-com

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools