Topic

“HELP” Where to park at Roads End HWY 180

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion “HELP” Where to park at Roads End HWY 180

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I am looking at doing a season opener trip of the Rea Lakes Loop on the first weekend of May.
    This will be my 9th time doing the loop. I have done it the weekend after April 15th when the road was open that early.

Now, with the Sequestration going on, Roads End is only open for "day use" until 22 May. The campgrounds will also be closed.
    I know you can hike any time of the year, you just need to get the permit from there once it opens.

So Roads End will be open, but does anyone know where can I park for a 3 day trip?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You may need to park on the other side of the winter snow gate, which is typically near the Hume Lake turnoff. Then hitchhike to Roads End.

–B.G.–

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I'm thinking just the parking lot at the far end of Roads End will not be available for over night hiking as that is the multi-day parking area.

I'm sure there are other over-fill places to park?
    (but where?) and without getting in trouble???

Hitch hiking is not an option for me.

I just found a little more info.
    It appears as if I may be able to park and "go out" overnight, just not "use" the Cedar Grove area during the night?
    Need to call, or at least just act stupid when I get back.
    That always works.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"Need to call, or at least just act stupid when I get back."

Easier to ask forgivness than permission

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

Yea theres no gate on the overnight lot at roads end so you can definitely physically park there..but question is will you a ticket/towed. I kinda doubt it though.

But you would also think that because of the Sequestration that there might not even be a ranger there at all right?

Matt L
    Spectator

@lachupacabra

Hi Aaron (or anyone else familiar with the situation),

Would you mind sharing how this worked out for you? I'm planning to do the same thing the first or second week of May but have been told that all lots in the area will be "day use" only at that time.

Were you able to leave your car at the Roads End lot? Did you get a ticket/towed/reprimanded in any way?

Any insight would be appreciated,

Matt

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools