Topic

Recommendations for groundcloths

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Recommendations for groundcloths

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Bryan Oliphint
    BPL Member

@hottub

Locale: Southeast Texas

I'm looking for some type of reasonably priced, reasonably light ground cloth.

I've used GG's polycro–only to have it rip in the middle of the trip. I've used Tyvek–and had to pick off a million pine needles that seem irresistably attracted to the material. In short, I need something new. And I need to be able to source it in a variety of sizes. And for a reasonable price. And it needs to last for 1 week under a variety of conditions.

I'm taking a group with 1 Contrail, 2 Rainshadows, and 2 Squalls, as well as a 9.5 x 10 Bearpaw tarp. I need to get groundcloths under all of these for a reasonable price. We are hiking the West Coast Trail, so ground conditions will vary from sandy to forest floor.

Someone out there give me a great idea ! ! !

Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

I've had really good results with the polycro from GG and with window shrink film. Assuming for the moment (and you'd want to confirm this) that this stuff generally works well but will occasionally fail, I expect your best option, wrt total weight and cost, is to go with the polycro and bring a spare. With that said, I'll be following the thread to see if someone comes up with a better option!

Best,

Bill S.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

If Tyvek and polycro are out of the question, that leaves cuben or one of the various Sil/Pu nylons. Cuben probably fails the reasonable price test. What about 70d silnylon or PU coated nylon? It's a shade heavier than Tyvek, but is also very cheap and durable.

Ryan

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

2 mil plastic drop cloth from a hardware store might work for you.

http://is.gd/7S119j

Mike

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Except for the tarp, all those shelters already have floors.

People have thru-hiked the PCT with a single GG polycro sheet.

I have been using the same polycro ground sheet for about 4 years.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

+1 to all nick's comments except in my case the same polycro sheet has been used for around 6 years, though likely less nights that Nick. How did you rip it?

–Mark

Bryan Oliphint
    BPL Member

@hottub

I used one polycro for the JMT and several other hikes.

I ordered a couple of other sets for group hikes and they simply fell apart–one prick and they tore down the middle.

Maybe I got a bad batch.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

PM inbound.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

$10 at Wal-Mart will get you enough window film to last years.

I used to use 2mil painters dropcloths but found they wear out quicker and seem to hold more dirt/dust.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Craig? Walmart??? I don't believe it…

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Craig is this what you're talking about?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Duck-Shrink-Film-Indoor-Window-Kit/17133826

Duck brand polycryo in supposedly two 62"x210" rolls. That's good for at least 10 individual groundsheets at 31"x84" (some may need to be taped together from remnants).

If this is suitable for ground sheets I may have to pick some up.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

That's the stuff.

Jared Baker
    BPL Member

@simply_light

Locale: Midwest, US

I 2nd sbill9000 on the window shrink film. It is light enough to carry a spare to cover an emergency tear.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

With any tent with a floor, with a bivy, or with a a tarp bivy combo, I gave up on carrying any ground cloth a few years ago and have yet to regret it. A tarp and no bivy is the only combination where I am likely to use one and then I am more likely to just take my 5.5 ounce bug bivy or 7 ounce Momentum bivy rather than a ground sheet. Either of those are pretty light and offer more utility than a ground cloth. I don't own any tents without floors though.

If you must have a ground sheet… Given that a lot of folks manage without a ground sheet the notion that a polycro one might fail doesn't seem like it would be the end of the world and if it really is that big a deal to you then as has been mentioned you can carry a spare

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I need to get groundcloths under all of these for a reasonable price.
    Why?
    All of those tarptents have built-in groundsheets. You don't need another one.

Cheers

Bryan Oliphint
    BPL Member

@hottub

I hear y'all about giving up the groundcloth. I've certainly been considering it. I just can't seem to get over the notion of wanting to protect some of my more expensive gear. Besides, on this trip my tents are going to be set up by teenagers.

I love the idea of the window shrink. It's certainly cheaper than buying the polycro from hiker websites. Then I'll just get something more substantial for the tarp.

Thanks for everybody's input.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

One of the things I don't like about the Polycro is that it's clear and so it's more difficult to see things on it. I have personally decided to go with the Zpacks Cuben Poncho Groundsheet. At 5oz it's nice UL rain protection and a great marriage with my tarp.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools