Topic

Cream or Gel to Keep Feet Dry

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cream or Gel to Keep Feet Dry

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Paul Dalley

@pauldalley

Locale: Gulf Coast

Hello All,

I remember that there was a cream or gel to help keep feet dry in addition to fast drying socks and shoes? But I can remember the name. What is it? I remember it being expensive though, like $20 dollars a tube.

Paul

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

hydropel

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

You may be thinking of Hydropel – which I believe is no longer available. Body Glide is a possible alternative…

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Vaseline (cheap).

–B.G.–

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Sportslick is not bad, either.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Silicone personal lube + creamy & regular Vaseline is pretty much hydrogel.

Thicken with Vaseline, thin with lube. Make the texture you like.

Combine with neosporin and it works to relieve infected chafe.

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"I remember that there was a cream or gel to help keep feet dry…"

You are looking for a barrier cream/gel/lotion that will keep you feet from getting wet when you cross a steam?

Really? Interesting concept.

If you want something to reduce maceration, there are many, but Dry…? I don't think so.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Dry feet while walking? No sweat?
    Snicker.

Cheers

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sandals combined with light colored, thin, quick drying, cooling socks (i have some linen poly socks which work great for this) is about as good as you will get keeping your feet dry at least when it's nice.

Otherwise, putting some zinc powder in your shoes, on feet, etc might help a bit.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I used to hike in high-top Goretex-lined boots and my feet were always soaked with sweat. If it rained and I was hiking in shorts they would actually end up with a bunch of water in my boots from it running down my legs. Those boots took forever to dry out.

I switched to Montrail Hardrocks which are mesh-lined and low. I now just plunge right through puddles and streams without a thought. I was finding that I ended up with blisters on the insides of my little toes after hiking with wet feet all day. I solved that with the Injinji Toe Socks. They work really well at keeping my toes from rubbing together and dry quickly when you let them. Just make sure you have a pair of dry socks for sleeping so your feet can recover.

I just spent two full days on the Black Forest Trail and my feet were soaked most of the time (portions of the trail were like stream-hiking). No blisters or other foot issues.

Paul Dalley

@pauldalley

Locale: Gulf Coast

Yes. It was Hydropel. I used glide before and worked ok.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools