Topic

Child bag/quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Child bag/quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Saunders
    Spectator

@boulderman

Locale: Front Range

Made a bag/quilt for my son. He's only 2 months old right now (can ya tell I'm excited to go camping with him?!), so it should work as a bag for a couple of years, then work as a quilt when it becomes too narrow for bag use. I used 1 yd of 5 oz Climashield from Thru-Hiker and 2 yds of ripstop 2nds from DIY Gear Supply. Sewn footbox, zipper on the side, and shock cord on top for quilt use. 14.0 oz, on the dot. First quilt project, I think it turned out ok! I might follow up and make a 2.5 oz climashield quilt for myself in a few months now that I have an idea of how it works.

Basically followed the ideas from this thread: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=74053

Bag mode

Quilt mode

detail pic

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Wow that looks cozy! You're a good Dad.

I use a half bag from Wild Things (Epic shell w/Primaloft I believe) for my youngest that looks similar but without the zipper. She will outgrow it soon since it will no longer be big enough to use as a full bag, but it works great, and yours will too.

Very nice.

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

Nice quilt gives me inspiration to build one for my little girl.

Thanks for list suppliers also. I had never heard of DIY Gear.
    What's the estimated temp rating with the 5oz Climasheild?

Daniel Saunders
    Spectator

@boulderman

Locale: Front Range

Thanks for the comments! According to this thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=46218

the temp rating of 5 oz climashield is approx 25*. Pretty amazing stuff if that's accurate. Of course, we're not going to take our baby to those temps, but he should be warm enough for summer/fall camping this year.

He likes it so far!

baby in bag

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

This is (he is) gorgeous Daniel!

Our little Hannah is now 5 weeks, and we are going to Japan in July for almost a year…we will have lots of little adventures there! This is good to see how you did it :-)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools