Topic

Who all makes 45F-50F Climashield insulated quilts/sleeping bag liners?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Who all makes 45F-50F Climashield insulated quilts/sleeping bag liners?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Who all makes 45F-50F Climashield insulated quilts/sleeping bag liners?

I see that MountainLaurelDesigns does but until I hear back from Ron (I emailed him today), I don't know if I can receive what I order by July 10, my "deadline day". I'm wondering if anyone else makes such?

This is the link to the MLD Quilt.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=133

If anyone wants to sell a used quilt I'm game for that too.

Thanks in advance.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You can get a small Thermarest Tech Blanket that has a drawstring and snaps to create a footbox. There are stick-on snaps available to attached it to a pad and you can wear it like a cape for camp insulation. It is about like a Nano Puff for loft. Not bad for $35.

Blanket
    http://www.sunnysports.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=TARTBN&Page=1&Term=tech%20blanket&Hit=1

snaps:
    http://www.sunnysports.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=TARSKFL&Page=1&Term=thermarest%20snaps&Hit=1

Nathan V
    BPL Member

@junk

Locale: The Great Lake State

Have a look at Enlightened Equipment's Prodigy line of quilts. They use Climashield APEX for insulation.

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/product-category/prodigy/

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Thanks for the tips, especially Nathan. Do you know, Dale, what is the fabric of the Thermarest blanket?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Hi Roleigh,

The EE quilts are NICE. Well made, lots of features and a reasonable wait (3 weeks currently advertised). I think you'll like either the Prodigy 50 or Prodigy 40.

I'm a happy owner of a 0*F Revelation, was gonna be in his part of the state and picked it up at his shop. He's worked out an effective operation.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

Arrowhead equipment makes their Owyhee Top Quilt, but I believe it to be primarily a hammock quilt, so not sure about widths. Looks like regular 1.1 ripstop. The website doesn't really mention the weight or price of the 1-season model.

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/kick-ass-quilts.html

Jon Hancock
    Spectator

@bigjackbrass

Locale: Northwest England

Kifaru.net make insulated blankets called Woobies, using Climashield Combat insulation. I've heard good reports from woodcraft and bushcraft types about them, although inevitably the non-tapered cut and emphasis on durability means that there will be lighter (and cheaper) options on the market. Specs from the Kifaru website:

Woobie $137
    Weight: 1 lb., 4 oz.
    Dimensions: 64 X 93 inches
    Insulation: 2 oz. / square yard

Doobie $175
    Weight: 2 lbs., 2 oz.
    Dimensions: 64 X 93 inches
    Insulation: 4 oz. / square yard

EDIT: I noticed this response from Kifaru to a customer question: "We don’t give temperature ratings on them, but by using them I would say that the Woobie is 40 degrees and the Doobie is 20 degrees."

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Those temp ratings must be survival ratings as 2oz will never be warm at 40* nor 4oz at 20*, unless the shell is LAVA

-Tim

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

You know what is fantastic about Tim M? He is posting on a thread without trying to sell anything and he has a product for less than $150 bucks that answers the original question that started this thread.

His 40-50 degree quilt is the answer IMVHO. lower cost, lower weight and honesty oh and a great product.
    I however am a bit biased as I am currentlysaving up for the 50 prodigy.

Sorry just my $.02 here carry on…

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

The woobie is a military poncho liner. It attaches to a poncho to create a sleeping bag and the poncho acts as a waterproof bivy.

It is also used as a blanket. But it's heavy for the warmth because it's so oversized. You could modify a woobie into a quilt for really warm weather. The woobie isn't summer weight, it's just jungle weight.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a hard time understanding, why anyone would ever buy a fully pre-made climashield type quilt for $$$ or even $$ when they are so easy to make for $, or have someone with the skills and equipment locally to make one after you give them the necessary materials.

You can get 2.5 oz Climashield Apex for 9.95 per yd or 5 oz C.A. for 15.95 per yd at Thru-hiker. You can often get 2nds rip stop 1.1 oz nylon anywhere from 2.50 to 5 dollars a yard. A little while back i got 72 in wide 1.1 oz nylon for around 3.50 a yd.

And, it will get done a lot faster most likely too.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Also, here's a tip to make it this whole thing a lot easier. Get a synthetic, double/2 person sleeping bag liner.

Most of the work is then done for you sewing wise. Cut to size, and slip some Climashield Apex in.

Then the only part that needs to be machine sewed is the top, where the opening is. To secure the Climashield in, just quickly hand sew some around the edges and feet area. Voila, easy to make, fairly cheap quilt.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Wow Justin, what a clever idea! I ended up ordering from EE because I can get the quilt before I do my pre-JMT hike on the Superior Hiking Trail over the memorial day weekend.

The one advantage of EE is that he has an array of high end fabric that (a) performs well at very low weight and (b) feels great, as opposed to ordering an existing liner. Tim shows that ordering across the board 10d nb/10d nb2 (these acronyms only make sense in the drop down order choices), that you end up saving 1.5 oz (approx). So for the extra money, weight is reduced.

Thanks all for the recommendations! I had forgotten when I did my first searching about EE.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I think you'll be quite happy with your choice.

I recently received my EE Prodigy 50 from Tim with the 10d inner and outer fabrics. I was shocked at how small and light the package was when it arrived in the mail. I thought it was a joke; it felt like the box was empty!

Sure enough, the quilt, straps, stuff sack and storage sack were all in there.

Haven't had occasion to use the quilt yet but the construction and specs look top notch. Very happy with my initial inspection of it.

My plan is to use it as a stand alone quilt for warm weather trips and to combine this quilt with my down 15F quilt for winter trips approaching 0F.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good choice Roleigh, yes the durability, comfort, and quality of an EE quilt will likely be better than the average MYOG quilt (especially if we're considering down quilts). At least i know it would be compared to mine, but then again i'm a newbie sewer and DIY'er.

I also somewhat recently ordered a quilt from Tim, a Revelation X 40 degree quilt, that should weigh around 15.75 oz. I went with the X version because, there is only about a 1 oz difference in weight compared to the non X version, and for 55 dollars less. Personally i will gladly take the 1 oz "penalty" (oh my poor, aching back) for the 55 dollar savings. Plus, it may be more durable in the long term too.

In any case, i'm really looking forward to the quilt because i've heard so much good things about his stuff especially with the new, narrower baffles, and it really is a very reasonable deal for a high quality, low weight, hi fp down product.

Well, i'm sure you will enjoy it and i hope you do.

Peter Fokkinga
    Spectator

@nitto

Locale: the Netherlands

Does anyone have pictures of a packed (compressed) 50F quilt with Apex? Preferably with something like a 1 liter bottle, or maybe a packed down quilt, as a comparison.

Thinking of combining a down jacket with a thin Apex quilt, but space is at a premium in my bicycle bags…

Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

Have the 40 degree EE Prodigy quilt and it packs down pretty small. About the same size as my Golite Ultra 20, which is 6×12. The 50 degree should pack down to about as small as possible for a quilt. I would estimate something like a cantaloupe.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools