Topic

5.5oz Cuben tarp with carbon tieouts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 5.5oz Cuben tarp with carbon tieouts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi,

I have made a lot of gear using Cuben Fiber and never really used glue or tape, always sewed it. The only time I used one of the different glue products was for the neck on my Poncho / Tarp. I was having a hard time trying to figure out how to sew it so I used glue. That worked OK.

After reading this thread I called my local RS Hughes to ask about 3M 9460. They could sell me 9460 1" wide tape, one roll at a time, 6o yards for about $40.00. They also offered me a 3 yard sample to test with. I just received the 3 yard sample and now need to decide what I want to make with it.

Mario Caceres
    BPL Member

@mariocaceres

Locale: San Francisco

Thank you Steve for this great write up. I will start building my own Cuben Tarp soon and will follow some of the techniques presented in this post. As an alternative to the Flat Carbon piece you used in your tie outs, others may consider small pieces cut from Polycarbonate Sheets. They are very easy to work with (the thinner versions of Polycarbonate can be even be cut with some sturdy scissors, you can drill holes on them, etc) and they are super strong.

Here a 2”x1”x0.0625” (yes that is 1/16” thick) piece taking 50lbs of weight. I drilled holes for attaching the guylines about 1/2” from the edge. The holes did not stretch at all after lifting the weights.

1/16" thick Polycarbonate test

I got polycarbonate samples on my local Tap PlasticsTap Plastics store here in San Francisco. And I’m planning to cut some custom “triangular washers” for my cuben tie-outs.

Robert Alexander
    BPL Member

@robmalexander

Locale: Atlanta

Just ran across this thread on my search to buy a roll of cuben tape and I have to say I am very impressed. Congrats and I'd love to hear how it's holding up.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Thanks for the comments! The tarp is holding up well, just finished 2 weeks on the JMT. It was really only testing a couple of nights, and it did fine. Most of the trip I didn't need to pitch it and I just used a recently completed bug bivy (inspired by the one from MLD).

Steve

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Lovely tarp.
    Do you think putting cat curves in the bottom edges would work as well as it does in the ridgeline?

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools