Topic

Cheap, small cook pots?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cheap, small cook pots?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Elijah Ziemann

@mrblondyable

What are some cheap, DIY pots? Like a soup can, coffee can, Fosters can, etc. It should be about 2-3 cups. Thanks

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

Not DIY but cheap. Look for an Imusa 10cm or 12cm pot…if you have a local Wally World close by, you can get them for under $5 each.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Elijah,

Progresso soup cans are great because they're wider thann most soup cans. Not 3 cups though, I don't think.

My friend used a ravioli can for a week long trip to Colorado a few years back. The price was right! The Foster's can will get you the 3 cups.

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

Pretty inexpensive at $9.99, weighs 3.2 ounces, and will hold a max of 24oz. The shipping is a little steep. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007S3N5PE/ref=asc_df_B007S3N5PE2463666?smid=AT7LX64DTM538&tag=sdcbing615-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B007S3N5PE

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

There are many commercially made pots with smooth sides. Many DIY pots made from beer cans or soup cans have to have ridges added to strengthen the sides (from crushing). That's OK if you are mostly just boiling water. However, if you are trying to cook food, the food ends up getting caught in the ridges, so it gets a lot harder to clean out. This is awkward if the top opening is small and you can't get your hand in there easily.

All of my cook pots are commercially made from aluminum or titanium and have smooth sides. My favorite weighs 1.8 ounces.

–B.G.–

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

These are nearly free (or, you pay for the pot and the food is free). The one with the red pull tab holds maybe 2.5 cups, and the other one a bit less than 3 cups. Use a side cutting can opener to create the good lid. I added bails to these, for ease of use over a wood stove. The one on the right didn't have a pop top I could use as a lid handle, so I placed a hole in the center, then inserted an "omega" shaped titanium loop with a silicone sheath. These work, they each weigh just 3.4 oz., they're cheap, and they're quite disposable.

Hobo pots

(disclosure: beef stew and soup were ravenously consumed prior to the fabrication of these pots)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Gary, I am assuming that the wire bails on those cans were made of titanium.

–B.G.–

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Yeah. As you might expect, a titanium rod bender has a few lonely scraps laying around. And the geek in me won't let me throw anything into the recycling bin that might have some useful life left in it. I made these to use with my wood burning stoves. I am not sure that I'm a convert, and I didn't want to trash a good Evernew pot while I experimented.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

Unless you have a way of stamping metal. you pretty much got it. A bunch of various cans. Personally I like the fosters can. I dont cook with it I just like the can.

What is your end game?

Are you trying to find a cheap alternative to buying a pot?

Are you looking to try to save weight?

Cause there is a lot of really cheap light cook wear out there that I personally feel is much better for the intended use. Plus a lot of the cans can be easily deformed beyond use and that would suck. Say you werent paying attention while walking and trip on something at camp and you land on your can. boom done no more pot. slip and fall while backpacking and land on your back can gets crushed. hell you just pack to tightly can gets crushed.

A lot of people use these with out having the issues I mentioned. and most have found ways to avoid those circumstances. I just wanted to offer some of my perspective.

Harald Hope
    BPL Member

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

I can't beat this one, about 3.5 ounce with lid, that's a real lid, that will keep pressure in, 750 ml. I searched, and the only 750ml ti pot that weighed less was the old bpl one, but it didn't have a real lid.

pot with original hahdle

pot with thin ti folding handles

The stainless is very thin, and since steel is stronger for any given thickness, this pot is LIGHT.

I found it at a chinese store, they usually had much heavier walled ones, but for some reason they got a batch of these in.

I got this pot to complete my 'ultralight cook kit on a shoe string' cookset, the cookset weighs less than a ti one, and is pretty close in efficiency to my more expensive stuff.

I'm suspicious of the spot welds that held the original handle on, I wouldn't bet on them holding up over time.

The handle itself is very light, but I wanted a folding one so I modified it.

I'll take stainless steel or ti over bpa coated tin cans any day of the week, I believe all steel / aluminum cans have some type of plastic inner coating, don't want to be cooking in that thanks.

Total cost of cookset, complete, depending on if you got the stove cans free from a friend or bought them, 5.50/6.50. No fragile beer cans for pots, real flashing for screen, real pot.

Not bad.

Adam Cassis
    BPL Member

@acassis

Locale: SoCal

the snow peak trey titanium bowl is about 15-16 bucks and weighs onlt 1.8oz. may not be big enough fro your application, but just my 2 cents.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools