Topic

Help with pack choice…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help with pack choice…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Chris Murdock

@emandchris

Locale: North East Georgia

All,

I would love to get your input on choosing a pack. I am in the process of transitioning to LW backpacking, in fact waiting on a MLD Mid. I am extremely motivated since reading Andrew Skurka's book.

Here are my needs…

I am 6'1" 260# (body type athletic/competitive power lifter), and will begin section hiking the AT this year with my 9 y/o son. I fully understand the rational of not utilizing the largest pack, but due to additional carry requirements with my son in tow, I think I need to allow for additional space. My thoughts are having him carry no more than 10% of his body weight, about 10#'s.

Thus far I have been focused on a ULA Catalyst. After looking on the Go Lite site, I saw they had a 65L and an 80L for about half price of the ULA. I did note that there was an additional 10/12oz with the Go Lite packs.

So, any insight would be appreciated, as I want to make the best decision.

Warm Regards,

Chris

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I really liked my Gossamer Gear G4. It only costs $125 new and can be picked up used for a good price. I just sold mine for $70 as I switched to the slightly smaller and narrower Gossamer Gear Mariposa. The heaviest load I carried in my G4 was 28 pounds and it carried well. My typical multi-day pack weight, including consumables and 1 liter of water is about 22lbs. and the G4 carried that easily. The G4 comes in at about a pound and has a ton of room, about 4000 c.i.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

What pack are you using now?

One thought would be to wait to update your pack and spend that money on something else in your kit. If you buy now you are buying something with the intent of replacing it later. By waiting a year your son gets bigger and can carry more. If you do some solo and some family trips buying a small pack for you and use your old pack for the family trip might make sense. The logic being that you can outhike your son even with 40lbs on your back so cutting pack weight wont necessarily allow to hike further. On Solo trips a lighter pack may have a real impact.

As to the GoLites are you looking at the Jam or the Quest. If you are looking at the Jam keep in mind that it doesnt have a frame and therefore wouldnt be a good load hauler despite its large size.

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

I wouldn't be so concerned with the overall weight of the pack. I mean, unless it's obnoxiously heavy, a pack's weight is the least important of it's virtues. Of course you'll need to be looking only at packs that will carry all your stuff, and for now, most of your son's gear as well. So once you decide on an appropriate volume, it's pretty easy to narrow down your choices.

First, it has to fit your torso. There are a couple of ways to measure your torso accurately. Try every method you can find and average the results. Some packs are adjustable, but make sure the load-lifters can make a downward angle to the shoulder straps, even at the longest torso length.

Second, the hipbelt needs to support all the weight of your pack full of gear, without loosening or riding down on you. The shoulder straps should only function to pull the pack tight against your back.

Third, it needs to have the right mix of features for your routines. How many exterior pockets do you want? Do you need a mesh panel to put damp clothes in to dry? Bottles or hydration bladder?

For me, my favorite pack for what I do is the REI Pinnacle 35. It's heavy! Designed as a rock-climbing bag, it's made of tough HT nylon with a thick plastic frame sheet and aluminium stays. In its stock form it weighs over three and a half pounds. I knocked half a pound out of it by cutting off gear loops, climbing-rope tie-downs, and superfluous buckles and clips. It's still a three pound pack, but it fits me, has a great hipbelt, carries my gear close to my back, and it's bombproof.

So what I'm getting at, is don't rule out slightly heavier options, as they might make up for the weight with superior comfort.

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

I have the current version of the golite jam 50. The lack of a frame is no big deal if you use a z-lite pad in it's place. I also really like the large outer zip pocket and mesh back. The fabric is sturdy, and the shoulder straps and hip belt fit well.
    I wish the pack had stiffer foam in the hip belt and shoulder straps. The hip belt is flimsy enough that the pack sags and bounces a little. The shoulder straps dig in a little when I unbuckle the hip belt.
    The shoulder straps and hip belt on the granite gear blaze are perfect. I like the pockets on the jam much better, and found the super long extension collar on the blaze got in the way when I wanted to put things into the pack, or get things out. The side fabric is also a little thin, and you have to be careful of broken branches and thorns.
    I also wish the jam had a heavy duty bottom fabric. There are a lot of rocks in my area and the bottom of the pack gets the most abrasion.

David Ure

@familyguy

With your build you will find the Golite Jam packs lacking. Specifically in the hip belt (floppy) and the too short shoulder straps (padded portion). Not to mntion that it carries preety bad over about 20 lbs and is very heavy for a frameless pack. You are going to have issue with the shoulder harness fitting around your larger chest /back measurement. I am not as large as you but I do Powerlift and have this issue.

ULA is and excellent place to start.

I would also consider the Granite Gear Blaze AC60. The pack has interchangeable belts (as does the Catalyst) but now for 2013, th Blaze will come optional with longer shoulder straps (padded portion) for those with a strength biased build. The Blaze is also functionally larger than the Catalyst (measured by the main compartment) and has an adjustable torso. All for under 3 lbs.

Just a thought.

Rudy Hassall

@windedbowhunter

Locale: MidAtlantic

I have been very pleased with my Mystery Ranch packs. They are engineered to the highest standards around! They are designed well to my liking with an internal frame, top lid and long vertical pockets.

Some other companies that you might want to look at are Exped Lightning and Stone Glacier packs

David Ure

@familyguy

Sorry, an 8lb pack empty probably isn't what the folks @ backpacking LIGHT are looking for.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

How long will your trips be? How much will you be carrying to include food and water?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I'd wait to buy a pack till you have all your other gear. Then you know exactly how big it should be and how much weight you'll be carrying.

For someone with your build getting a pack to fit may be a bit more tricky. Make sure the shoulder straps aren't too close together. Otherwise they will put pressure on your neck.

A frameless pack like the Jam might work but such packs are limited to 30 pounds MAX. Most people will probably be more comfortable with a framed pack if they are carrying more then 20 pounds. Andrew Skurka seems to be comfortable with more in his frameless packs then the average hiker. I'm not questioning his authority, I'm just saying what is comfortable for him may not be comfortable for the rest of us.

For heavier loads I think a frame is worth it. A frame only adds about half a pound or so to a pack if its done right and it can dramatically increase comfort.

Here are some ideas for internal frame packs in the 2-2.5 pound range that are durable, carry weight well and should have room for all your stuff.

1. Hyperlight Mountain Gear: Their packs are pricey but very light for the amount of weight they carry.

2. Exped Lightning 45/60: A new pack with an adjustable torso length, light and made of tough materials.

3. Zimmerbuilt Custom Pack: Chris can make a pack to your specifications so if you want a broader harness or whatever he can do it. I'd wait on this though until you know exactly what you want.

Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

+1 on GregF's reply and on your recognition that your son's comfort is of primary importance. What pack you carry for these next couple of years isn't going to affect your experience. What pack your son carries and how well you set up the rest of your kit to help him have a great experience are. Set up your son and the rest of your kit, then spend whatever seems like the right amount on any decent quality pack that'll let you carry it.

Cheers,

Bill S.

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

I carry this as my go to pack when with my 4 kids. It weighs in at 29 oz and has a roll top giving you and additional 7-8 liters if needed.
    Comfy I carry 28-30 and its good. It's also my extended trip bag since it is lite and versatile even when caring 15-18 lbs.

Just my $.02 this pack does not get much mention since it is not made by a company known for UL packs/gear.

Chris Murdock

@emandchris

Ed,

I appreciate the insight, and took a look at the G4. Maybe a bit on the small side considering I will be carrying for 2.

Thanks again!

Chris

Chris Murdock

@emandchris

Greg,

I currently have an Expedition pack from Dana Designs, if I recall, close to 7-8000 ci. You make a good point utilizing what I have until my son can carry a bit more. Thanks for making me think…

Regards,
    Chris

Chris Murdock

@emandchris

Daniel,

Thanks for the thoughts, you have me thinking out of the "ultra light weight box!"

Chris

Chris Murdock

@emandchris

Thanks John!
    Chris

Chris Murdock

@emandchris

Dr. Shultz,

I appreciate your comments. I am leaning towards the Catalyst, so your comments help to confirm what might be a good choice.

Good to hear from another Power Lifter. I am very fortunate to train with some monsters, squatting close to 1000#, benching mid 700#, and pulling close to 800#. We have a 67 y/o world champion to boot!

I on the other hand am 52, not quite as strong, but enjoy the comradeship and competition. If you are ever in GA, and need a great place to train, drop me a line.

Regards,
    Chris

Chris Murdock

@emandchris

Nick,
    Average time out will be 4 days, and hoping to keep wt under 35#s.

Chris Murdock

@emandchris

Thanks Luke, all great points to consider! I appreciate the caution regarding proper fit.

Chris Murdock

@emandchris

Bill, I appreciate the focus on my son's experience, I really want to make this about him. Sounds like you are or would be a great parent!

Chris Murdock

@emandchris

Thanks Kevin, will ck out MH as well.

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

I'll put in another plug for HMG packs. I've used an older Windrider, and currently use a Porter. It carries great, and accommodates various load sizes quite nicely, ranging from solo summer trips, to family trips where I play sherpa, to bulky winter trips. From what I hear they are also quite willing to do modifications if something isn't quite what you're looking for.

-David

Rudy Hassall

@windedbowhunter

Locale: MidAtlantic

Dr. King Shultz – This depends as you can have an ultra-lightweight pack crudely constructed. Say a contractor bag, and 2 pieces of paracord. I will guess this will not be comfortable for a multi-day trip.

I prefer comfort and durability. I had a friend while on an 8 day trip who's "lightweight" pack busted a buckle on day 5. Well it's great that they fixed it under their warranty for free, but he punished himself physically to get his gear back out. I ended up latching 30% of his gear in and on my pack.

So, it boils down to preference.

Luke Schmidt – Very good tip! I did this with my MR pack. We loaded all the gear in the pack several times to identify the way it fit best and provided the best weight distribution.

Packman Pete
    BPL Member

@packmanpete

Locale: Rainy Portland

The catalyst is nice, for sure (used to have one)
    The golite packs are nice (used to have several)
    The granite gear packs rock (had a few)
    The gossamer gear packs are perfect (what I use now)

Dan S

@nunyabiznes32

Locale: Pacific NW

I'm often in the same boat as you (carrying extra weight with the family in tow). I went with the Granite Gear Leopard A.C. 58 for my main pack and it's been great so far. I can ditch the top lid to save some weight and the adjustable suspension was key to getting the right fit. Granite Gear's quality is great and you can try them on at many outdoor retailers (and find them on sale). It seemed to work in the Himalayas: http://www.atlasomega.com/2011/10/crossing-the-himalayas/

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools