Topic

Lower Body Clothing System

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lower Body Clothing System

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

+1 to MLD eVent gaiters. Not one conplaint or nitpick.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Dirty girls..

aren't the tall gaiters uber sweaty? i wear them in the winter shoeshoeing

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

I only wear mine in winter and have never collected moisture under them.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"aren't the tall gaiters uber sweaty?"

In the summer, yes, but I'm convinced they help keep ticks off me.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I like my Dirty Girls, no perspiration problems. Super colors, too.

Waterproof, they aren't.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

well they aren't meant to be.. just to keep stuff out of your shoes. I wish i had them on the LT.. i went crazy with pine needle duff getting in my socks. I actually ordered them from Stowe so I'd have them when i got home :P

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

How critical are WPB pants for backpacking in California / Sierras? Is it reasonable to think wind pants provide enough protection?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nice 2nd post and points Max. Btw, i have a pair of shorts that only weighs 1.7 oz–they don't leave much to the imagination (cue jokes now….).

I also think Jake made some good points too. I don't have any zip offs myself, but i like the convenience factor at least. It would be possible to make some UL velcro offs pants i imagine. In fact, it would be easy to take some existing lightweight shorts and combine them with a pair of cheap windpants…hmmmm

Thanks for the idea folks!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

" 'aren't the tall gaiters uber sweaty?'

"In the summer, yes, but I'm convinced they help keep ticks off me."

Eat enough garlic and it will help keep everything off you. Well, except for the Italians of course, you may find an unusual influx of them.

(Bob, somebody has to fill in for you while you're not around)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

My experience is that no single piece works in most conditions/weather.

In warmer weather it is usually Patagonia Baggies shorts with Cap 1 or wind pants.

As it gets cooler, usually Rail Riders Eco-Mesh and Cap 1.

In cold hiking around freezing REI Mistral Schoeller pants and Cap 1.

Even colder REI Acme Schoeller pants with Cap 1 or 4.

For all of the above the cap 1/4 and wind pants spend most of their time in my pack.

I have never worn rain pants, as my ponchos go down near my knees. Now I normally wear a zPacks Cuben/tarp that isn't long enough to cover my shorts entirely, and a couple trips in cold wind blown rain left my thighs pretty cold. I bought a Cuben rain skirt and a pair of Cuben rain chaps but haven't been in enough rain yet to properly evaluate them.

Even though I hate cold, hiking in shorts is usually comfortable down into the 40's F as long as it isn't windy.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Ok, this isn't meant to disparage anyone's preferences, but I think it's weird when someone says an item is heavy to wear.

I can understand if someone puts on a 10 pound jacket, but a 12 ounce pair of pants is probably less than what we wear every day without noticing.

It equates to 0% noticeable difference.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Andre Buhot
    BPL Member

@shadow-mkii

To Me it doesn't matter what the difference in weight is between Running shorts and Zipoff's/Pants is.

Because I don't wear shorts (except while swimming) and would never hike in them.

I wear Cragghopper's Nosilife Cargos(375g) wicking Boxer briefs and Add Capilene 2 longs in winter.

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

For me, any pants without pockets are not my choice for any sort of excursion.

Sure, I'll wear running shorts or just wind pants, as long as I'm not going anywhere.

I always wear some sort of cargo pockets pants, like zip offs, anytime I am going anywhere on a hike or anything like that.
    I have a small light pack, and I prefer to carry my regularly used items where I can get my hands on them on the move.

Sometimes I'll even wear heavier fabric cargo pants for a woods hike, because I can't even step off the road around here without walking through a blackberry patch.

Sean M
    BPL Member

@zvolen

Locale: CA Central Valley

I wanted to explain my intent a bit here. I wanted the most flexible versatile system I am not as much worried about the lightest option. My goal is to have in my gear closet the least amount of gear, meaning if I have a multi use item that I use in the summer (like the shorts from zip offs) and then use a part of that system for the winter (the shorts plus zip ons) I would rather have that considering I can buy one item and use it for multiple things. I just don’t know if that is possible or if a dedicated system would be better.

I am attempting to get back into hiking and my major concern is not having to buy a lot of gear, so yeas I will sacrifice weight in order to get versatile gear that I could use for multiple things and or conditions.

I guess my question is will convertibles do well enough in wind and rain in the warm months and would it be redundant to have those and rain pants (mainly for shoulder/cooler weather), how would that system integrate to the colder months? Or would it be better to just get some softshells for the shoulder season since they too will be wind/rain resistant, if so will I still need rain pants in more inclement weather during those times?

As far as the summer I will pretty much always hike in shorts even if I use the convertibles I mostly likely won’t bring them, so it sounds as if convertibles would be best since I can use them in the summer whereas I can’t do so with the softshells??
    Thoughts?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

ngatel posted earlier,

"My experience is that no single piece works in most conditions/weather."

;)

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

After trying a pretty fair number of things, I was surprised to find myself gravitating back toward pretty ordinary lightweight nylon hiking pants. Any of a variety of the usual brands, based mostly on fit and what's available. In my experience, the lighter weight fabrics are fine, and these will come in at ~ 8 oz.

They provide sun and mosquito protection when needed, can handle a beating while bushwacking, scrambling, etc., are warm enough when it's cold (down to freezing or a bit lower even without leaving on the long underwear I tend to wear on really cold trips), are fast-drying, and are reasonably comfortable in most warm weather conditions.

I used to wear zip-off versions, but when I counted off the time since I'd zipped 'em off in years, I ditched 'em. YMMV. Not many of my heat or cold sensors seem to have been allocated to my legs. As long as my pants are loose-fitting, I don't tend to notice them much. I'm more picky about footwear and upper body clothing.

Best,

Bill S.

Sean M
    BPL Member

@zvolen

Locale: CA Central Valley

Rick– to be fair I wasn't looking for a consensus I knew there would be variances of opinion, which is actually what I wanted since I was so unsure. I wanted to see the pros and cons of each from different users which is why I brought it to the forum.

Unfortunately I don't have much in the 'closet' as you mentioned and don't really plan to purchase much excessive gear or even replacement gear until I do get some on the trail experience, shoot I am still using my 6.5 lbs pack for the time being. I just needed the essentials and am on a tight budget which is why I was looking for versatile gear. I knew jeans wouldn't cut it.

Anyways based off the responses the major negative towards zip offs is the added weight for the most part they perform as well and at time better than others if you are willing to carry the weight. Since currently weight is a non issue to me I think I will give the zip offs a try — they will be used as shorts in the summer and pants in the shoulder seasons.

Its I just went out this past weekend I was able to determine which temp I might need pants and was surprised at my warm. Okay separate question now, if I am planning to use these as two pieces of clothing meaning I will carry as shorts and carry as pants would it be best to just buy separately — meaning buy convertible type pants but arent zip offs, do they even sell those?

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

zip offs are definitely heavier
    But they do have function.

Cargo pockets are great for carrying items you frequently need. Camera, map,guidebook pages, etc.

If you keep camera in pack or hip pocket zipped up, you will miss quick pics of wildlife.

Anything besides 1) UL shorts 2) long underwear 3) rain pants is dead weight

Wind pants are a redundant item.
    You might be more comfortable hiking in them than rain pants
    but they are still a redundant item you dont actually need.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I have way more options than I care to admit, but the set-up I use most frequently is a pair of wicking boxer briefs with a thin, light pair of running shorts (liner removed) over them. For insulation/weather protection I'll carry a thin pair of tights and a pair of wind pants.

For shorts, I like the Patagonia Nine Trails (about 5 oz) although most any light running short would work fine. I prefer to hike in shorts whenever possible as I put out a lot of heat while hiking and my legs don't get all that uncomfortable from wet or cold while I'm moving. The Nine Trails are a reasonable length inseam, have a good DWR treatment and dry fast when wet.

For insulation, I like to use a thin pair of capilene tights (usually either cap 2 or 4- about 5 oz). These are mostly worn in camp and are only very occasionally worn while hiking/biking under my shorts.

For light rain/snow protection and to add a little protection from cold wind, I carry a pair of the Montbell Dynamo wind pants (about 2.5 oz). These have proven to be reasonably durable over the last couple of years and they have zippered leg openings so I can slip then on/off over my shoes.

So in most cases, my entire lower body clothing system (worn + packed) weighs in under a pound and covers my needs for 90% of my trips.

There are times though when shorts or wind pants don't cut it…
    For example, I'll switch to pants, typically a light soft shell style, for dedicated snow trips or cold weather heavy bushwhacking trips. Similarly, if I plan to be out during a sustained rainstorm, I'll switch out light rain pants or chaps for the wind pants.

Never been a big fan of the zip offs. I have a pair but they haven't been used in a couple of years. I just found them to be a hassle to zip on/off, heavy, and generally not as comfortable. YMMV.

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools