Topic

A very good few days

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities A very good few days

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Locale: Midwest

Just another way to enjoy UL. 3 days & 3 nights of solo hiking / hunting. Lows in low 30's, highs in mid-60s, mostly sunny, some drizzle.

Base weight 11 lbs plus food, water, gun, ammo, turkey calls. But the gear is not the deal. You all could put together a base weight as light or lighter. What is cool is that by going UL I could hang out for days. Only discomforts – toting a shotgun.

I could go on at length but being outside, seeing only one other human, mostly bushwhacking, coyote calls, wading streams, rabbits, partridge, raccoons, having crows call you out; all has really got me stoked. Not so much if the pack weighs 50 lbs, right?

As for the hunt. Technique was to spot and anticipate turkey, select a natural blind and call them in. Smart animals. No shots.

Looking for a gun sling and found the Gunslinger Corral. Attaches to a pack. Anyone familiar with it? See here:http://hunting.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=hunting&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gunslingercorral.com%2F

So I get home and the fun hasn't ended. My Bushbuddy UL was waiting. Goodbye cannisters.

Sorry for the long post. It was just great to get out again and this was a new way to do it for me.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Sounds like a good time…
    Thanks for mentioning the Corral, I've never seen one- it looks useful.
    Cheers.
    Craig

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Craig,

I have ordered and received the Corral and it sets up very nicely but have not had the opportunity to field test it.

After I've had it out for a weekend I could report, but I'm not sure when I will next get the chance to combine a hunt with hiking. Also, not really sure this is the right site.

Paul

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

As far as this being the "right site" (I assume you mean for talk about hunting), this is the "Other Activities" thread. There's plenty of talk about fishing, I don't personally see the problem with discussing hunting here.
    Craig

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Craig,

Agreed, I'm just afraid you and I might be the only interested parties. I grew up hunting and will hunt responsibly til I die.

Eating what I take, your friend in arms,

Paul

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools