Topic

MYOG Summer Quilt from old mummy bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Summer Quilt from old mummy bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Locale: Southeast

I know this isn't much information to work off of, but I have an old slumberjack 20* quilt that I used back in the day. It has to be at least 14 years old. It kept me warm as a teenager through multiple treks, including Philmont, so it's pretty well used.

About three years ago I used it in the low 30's and it seemed to be at the limit of comfort. So I thought it would work great re-purposed as a summer quilt. I have cut off the hood, un-stitched the zipper, and seperated the two layers (inner and outer). Each layer of outer fabric has a layer of insulation sewn in. So I really could make two quilts.

My question is this – what temperature range do you guys think I could take this down to? I realize this is very subjective and open to so many variables. Just hoping to get a rough idea so I don't take it out in the low 40's and freeze.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

How many inches of loft does it have? Not an absolute indicator, but a good place to start when figuring warmth out.

For reference… My MYOG 5.0 APEX (~1.25" loft) quilt keeps me super toasty down into the 30s wearing just boxers and a lightweight wool shirt. That's using a 4.1R pad and in a BA Fly Creek ul2 tent shared with my girlfriend.

What pad/shelter, sleeping partner, etc will also influence your warmth.

If you got a yard, try it out outside on a chilly night.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Locale: Southeast

I'll measure it when I get home. I would think it's loft is ~1/2" per layer. I have a 20* EE quilt that I'll use for most nights, but this quilt would be for warm summer nights.

I have an Exped UL 7 (R value 2.8) and I'll either be using this in a Nemo Meta 1P, or a bivy/tarp combo.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools