Topic

Seeking advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Seeking advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Against theGrain
    BPL Member

@againstthegrain

Locale: Selkirks

In one of my rainy day endeavours I have thought up creating my own business. My plan would be to purchase some industrial sewing gear and open up for repairs and custom work out of my home. I also had the plan to make a couple different packs for sale. These would be ultra light influenced but come in more options (heavier fabrics, bells n whistles) to appeal to a wider audience. My business would be mostly repair based, the packs would be qn offshoot/hobby.
    There is no one in my area currently doing this, and I live in an up and coming ski, climbing and mountaineering town. There are multiple heliski companies and other guiding services in town to potentially bring in business.

Does anyone have any experience with a repair business? Or any advice to offer? Any opinions are welcome, i take critism well!

Is this in the right forum?

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

Hi,

To start with, this link will probably get moved to gear deals as that is usually where most business activity goes on (though I might be wrong). The business sounds like a good idea especially if you are planning to work with people in the town rather than try and attract business from the internet, where there are many many UL pack makers.

I don't have much experience from the end you will be coming from, however before fixing my own gear I found it very difficult to find people that would do this at a reasonable price. I would say the main thing you would need to do to make it successful is really put the word about town to all the local outdoors shops and everyone involved with the outdoor scene.

I would also recommend not charging until your work is really good as your reputation is what is going to make or break you in your early years when you are easy to write off as 'a bit rubbish'.

Just my 2c, but good luck!!!

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

If you are in the Selkirks, you may want to speak with the folks at Specialty Outdoors in Spokane, for advice. http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/ The owner has been repairing and modifying outdoor gear for many years. Probably a good place to start.

Against theGrain
    BPL Member

@againstthegrain

Thanks for the replies, getting word out in town is not a problem. The ENTIRE community reads this website daily.

http://list.thestoke.ca

It is an awesome free way to spread the word. I would most likely make a website so my packs would be available purchase online but I would not devote all my efforts toward this. I partially like to keep things as local as possible

Thanks for the suggestion Marc, I have contacted another business owner already, figured this site might be another good resource. Lots of experienced folks on here.

Cheers

John Canfield

@jcanfield

Locale: Cascadia

I have worked in the gear/ equipment repair field, and know others who do the same. Send me a note to [email protected].

I am Fred Beckey's pack repair guy still, though I no longer do repair as the mainstay of my profession. That is my claim to fame. Such a high water mark, and so early in my career ;)

Seriously, though, I can recommend a bunch of machines that you will need and places to get started, if you have the skills already. This work can be VERY difficult.

John Canfield

Against theGrain
    BPL Member

@againstthegrain

PM sent John

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools