Topic

Tent Poles on Carry-on Luggage on INTERNATIONAL flights

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tent Poles on Carry-on Luggage on INTERNATIONAL flights

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hey guys,

Last minute question…anyone have actual experience flying internationally with tent poles as carryon? Specifically, I'm flying LAN airlines in South America (Chile)

I know I can do it here in the states, but I can't seem to find any info online for South America. I plan on checking in my tent stakes (which I figure can be easily replace if my bag is lost) but the poles I'd prefer to keep with me. Thanks!

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

But they didn't look all that strict at the airport in Santiago. US seems a lot more picky about what they let thru…and there will be nothing but trekkers on your flight to punts arenas.

I know that doesn't help a ton, but if you can carry on in the states I'd feel ok about carrying on in chile. I'd be more worried about your food :)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Seems to me that having the poles actually wrapped up inside the tent might be the way to go.

Cheers

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

A number of years ago I packed a small tent in my carryon to Europe and it was no problem, but I don't have any experience with flights to South America.

Good luck!

-David

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Seems to me that having the poles actually wrapped up inside the tent might be the way to go."

+1. I've only flown domestically., but US rules tend to be more tedious than most abroad anyway. As above, wrap your tent poles inside your tent. While hiking poles are a "no no" for carry on — no one has ever hassled me re. tent poles.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I flew on LAN Chile only once, and that was a short hop from Santiago to Mendoza. They didn't even look at my checked bag, and they barely looked at my carry-on bag. The immigration/customs check in Mendoza was tougher, but they were only looking for illegal stuff. If you are dressed like some scumbag backpacker trying to smuggle some weed, they bear down on you.

–B.G.–

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

First of all…. I'm green with envy. Have fun!

I haven't carried on tent poles but I wanted to add this if you haven't already considered it… Are you flying non stop from the U.S. to Santiago or do you have to transit through another country? If you do, passing through the security of those countries is another opportunity for the tent poles to be confiscated or at least routed towards your checked bag.

The reason I bring this up is that on our way to Cambodia, my co worker nearly lost some gear as we were transiting Thailand.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Not sure it helps. Anyway, no sharp stuff is allowed in El-Al (Israel air company). Tent stakes could be easily confiscated.

They are really crazy there. Especially when you come back to Israel.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Hiking poles will be allowed by the end of this month as carry on.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools