Topic

Big Wilderness Hikes-Vancouver Island?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Big Wilderness Hikes-Vancouver Island?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bill S
    Spectator

@pnchike

I'm thinking about visiting a friend on Vancouver Island in late summer this year, and might have some time afterward to do a trip somewhere on the island. I know about the famous trails (West Coast Trail, etc.), but Im thinking something more off-trail As I glance over google maps, my eye immediately goes to Strathcona and some of the provincial parks further north. Anyone spent much time up here? Can you recommend any resources our outfitters up there who would be good to talk to? What about other places as far north as you can go on the island? Any particularly cool areas not to be missed?

Thanks guys!

Bill

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

The trip around the tip of the island on the North Coast Trail was pleasantly rugged and wild when I completed it in spring 2008. Not sure how the trail has evolved since then ( we were one of the first parties to finish it after it officially opened) but it was very rugged and wild scenery up there and from what I've heard much tougher than the WCT.

We drove into the Pt. Hardy Cape Scott area from nanaimo. Hiked out to San Josef and Mt St patrick the first day. Next day got a water taxi to the North Coast Trail start in Shushartie. Hiked the trail for 3 days to reconnect with Cape Scott area and then explored further along the Cape Scott area. Got a shuttle service to pick us up at the Cape Scott trailhead morning of the 5th day. An extra day or two would of been nice. Beautiful, wild place. I highly recommend it. Lots of Black Bears

Bill S
    Spectator

@pnchike

Thanks Martin, that would quite a trip to get all the way up there…

Bill

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

It isn't too bad of a drive once you are on Island. Suintula ( SP??) the Finnish Canadian island colony is worth a visit.

Mike Bozman
    Spectator

@myarmisonfire

Locale: BC

I see this is an old-ish post but check out:
    islandhikes.com
    http://www.hikingtrailsbooks.com/buy-a-book/hiking-trails-3-northern-vancouver-island
    http://www.wildisle.ca/islandalpine/

I have spent the last 20 years hiking nearly every corner of Strathcona Park. If you give me an idea of what you are looking for in a hike (mileage, number of days, etc) I can make a few recommendations. Heck, I might even have to join you if you want some company!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools