Topic

Light stream-crossing / camp shoes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Light stream-crossing / camp shoes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"Those Vivobarefoot Ultras look pretty cool. Anyone know what they weigh in largeish sizes?"

I have the largest size they make (47 IIRC) and they're 4.6oz per shoe.

TJ W
    BPL Member

@thadjw

Many excellent responses to question I started (probably in wrong section and thanks for not getting me on this one — seems like this is a good place for any potentially interesting bp discussion though).

For the interest of all debaters here I think that the best answer (in one humble person''s vieww of course) is to use bags of some type over the feet. I love zpacks stuff and after I heard this suggestion I contacted joe at zpacks and he said I'd best talk to ben of goosefeet while CCing the gentleman himself. Ben has dyneema and other fabric for this and does things of this type. He doesn't seam seal though he said. I'll see if he knows another producer that does this with enough skill to hold up for some pretty big streams.

Otherwise I may just travel light and use multiple grocery store bags … or maybe a couple of small garbage bags … over my shoes and just make that work. I can tromp through some streams but if I'm doing a big Sierra section I'd like to prepare to avoid some soaking at times. Thanks again for all opinions and some more opinions on this latest idea are always welcome.

(The shoe ideas all look like nice shoes but 9oz or so is not a small deal I think bros and sisses.)

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Thad,

I wear trail runners and just cross streams with them on. However, I will admit that one of my "luxury" items is a light pair of slippers aka flip-flops. I htink mine weigh just over 5 oz, for the pair. My slippers are for camp, around town, any time I don't want to wear closed shoes. I live in slippers at home and only wear runners of any kind for athletic endeavors so my feet just aren't used to being in shoes. So the sooner I can get out of them the better after a day of hiking.

Susan

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools