Topic

Adjustable grip hitch

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Adjustable grip hitch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Adjustable Grip Hitch

I've used the knot above to put a slight bow in the vertical carbon fiber spars of my myog backpack. They have held over several months of daily use, under tension. They still adjust easily so I can take the frame apart.

I also like this knot because it holds its position when the line is slack. You can, for example, adjust tarp lines the way you want them, pull the stakes without adjusting the knots and know that the lines will be the same length next time you use the tarp…..but still be adjustable if desired.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The taughtline is a classic. Everyone should know this one. it's also halfway to a Prusik, also handy.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Ken,

One of the posters at Kitebuilder said the taughtline knot can come loose if the line is slack.

Have you experienced this? I have no experience with the taughtline.

Daryl

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

A tautline hitch doesn't work so good on small diameter cord, because there isn't enough area of cord to have friction to keep it from slipping.

If, after you slide the knot to adjust the length, you really pull on the loose end and really tighten all three loops of the tautline hitch, it will hold better.

Or add another loop.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Another knot to know. Thank you.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

hi Daryl
    Great knot !
    I use a Tautline hitch but this seams even easier and does grip well.
    I need to try it with different ropes but looks very promising.
    Thanks for that.

David Miles
    Spectator

@davidmiles

Locale: Eastern Sierra

Another knot you may find useful. It is also secure when slack and it adjustable with one hand and has 2:1 advantage.

http://www.milesgear.com/SecureBowstring/SecureBowstring.html

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

Great Knot!

Put a loop through as the tail and it will pull right out to untie.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

I use the taut line hitch once in a while when tarping and Ive had good luck with it. Slack in the line does make the knot insecure, but in my experience it does not completely fall out unless shaken or something. Usually you can put the loop back over a stake, reapply the load and you're good. However, sounds like this knot might a bit better when slack, a bit better under load, and certainly easier to tie consistently. Sounds like a weiner! Adding it to my arsenal for sure, thanks for sharing!

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

David,

That Secure Bowstring is one cool knot!

I couldn't quite get it until I actually tied it and fooled around with it. It feels very good and is about as secure as a sliding knot could be, in my opinion.

So you are the "Dave" who created this knot? Wow! I thought all knots came from sailors who lived at least 100 years ago. This knot is definitely a wiener.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Thanks for knot, Daryl. Looks like an improved variation on the tautline, and will try it out.

Mike Oxford
    BPL Member

@moxford

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA

Miles: Not seeing the 2:1 advantage part.

"Secure bowstring" is an Interesting knot .. first photo looked like an end-line prusik. I'll have to play with it some more.
    I would be interested in your testing methodology as well. 8mm line is usually not even rated to 2500-lbf shock loaded, and with the reduction from having a knot in it I'm surprised you got it that high. Can you PM your test setup so I can play around with it? It appears more adjustable than the standard butterfly.

Also, if slippage is seen at 1500lbf, I wonder if you did the following…

Three initial turns (instead of the existing two) for the first prusik-like part. Then instead of slipping the tail through a single loop, you move it through 2, still leaving the 3rd just around the standing end.

Looking forward to testing this!

-mox

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools