Topic

JMT Logistics

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Christian Guertin

@cguertin

Locale: New England (& ADKs)

Hey Folks,
    I am planning a JMT hike at the end of July. I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about bugs out there. Are there any at those elevations? Do I need to give them another thought?

Also, is it totally silly to imagine that there is any cell service on the trail? I was thinking of having it with me just in case.

Thanks!

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Bugs? Youbetcha! bring DEET. Cellphones are very handy for ordering takeout pizza when you go out to Mammoth to re-supply. :-) Seriously, cell coverage is spotty and please don't depend on it to bail you out–to me, it's just more weight. Other's might have differing opinions. Just my 2 kopecks.

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

ditto on the Deet. plus a headnet. in July they will be in your ears & eyes, too.

yeah, very little cell service on teh actual trail. if it's worth it to you to call home from the top of Whitney then go for it. otherwise it won't do you much good.

Anitra Kass

@anitraten

Locale: SoCal

The worst mosquitoes I have ever run into were on the section of the JMT from Tuolumne north to Happy Isles. If you don't have poles or you were holding them in one hand and swinging the other hand for rhythm (as I do for variety sometimes) you might actually be able to feel your hand pushing through hords of them on the back swing. I hiked in long sleevs, my rain pants (which sucked) and a head net. Granted I was there in early to Mid July of 2005.

On the cell phone side I'll just mention that when I was camping at Tuolumne in '05 I met an older gentleman who was chatting me up about my hike and he told me that he was airlifted off of Donahue pass because he was having heart problems (he had had heart surgery before) and he actually had cell phone reception and called for help. It was NOT a sat phone, but I can't remember which carrier he had. Not sure that that story really helps but I thought I'd muddy the waters a bit more for you…plus I think it's pretty cool that everything worked out for that guy.
    NITRO

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

Donohue I can believe, since it's right above Tuolumne and in sight line to the highway & village.

awesome that man was able to get help – i won't take my dad backpacking because he's already had three heart attacks and i'm convinced he'd have #4 if i was ever to take him anyplace out of immediate help's range.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools